• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Honda experts

Just drove it to Florida the weekend before with no issues at all. Thursday morning the light came on and blinked, she turned it off, checked the oil and then the light went back off. When she got to her job 23 miles away the light started blinking when she parked it and stayed on for the drive home.

Could be the vvt since it's part of the oil filter housing
Not trying to be a smartass, but variable valve timing is in the head area. Driving for 23 miles with the oil pressure light on is for sure disaster. Pressure is created by restriction, not flow. There are no cam bearings, machined directly into the head. Just a heads up.

I'd try an engine flush, it may have some sludge inside after 200k miles and especially after using a thicker oil than is recommended. Probably used 5W-30 thinking it would quiet the noise but doesn't flow properly in that engine. Mine was knocking and tapping. I used the BG engine flush, that stuff is awesome. I use Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Max Life full syn, both have better add packs for a high mileage engine than other name brand oils

I'd try an engine flush, it may have some sludge inside after 200k miles and especially after using a thicker oil than is recommended. Probably used 5W-30 thinking it would quiet the noise but doesn't flow properly in that engine. Mine was knocking and tapping. I used the BG engine flush, that stuff is awesome. I use Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Max Life full syn, both have better add packs for a high mileage engine than other name brand oils
Done the engine flush when I did the timing

Not trying to be a smartass, but variable valve timing is in the head area. Driving for 23 miles with the oil pressure light on is for sure disaster. Pressure is created by restriction, not flow. There are no cam bearings, machined directly into the head. Just a heads up.
I understand. The newer engine have the vvt on the end of the cam .

Here's the vvt solenoid.

Screenshot_20231016_222742_Chrome.jpg

Plug up a known good gauge and get an accurate pressure reading. Put the recommended weight oil in it for this climate according to factory specs. Also not a bad idea to have factory filter as they tend to help keep pressure .

(Just my opinions as a certified technician. Hard to tell ANYTHING definitive without actually diagnosing the car. )
I'm a certified mechanic, never cared to be a tech. Now it would be nice to better understand all the possibilities of a scope. I have a 4 Chanel scope on a snapon Zeus and can use it but not to its full potential. I hate data management and don't do any performance tuning, I can, but I don't. I'm to old to start that.

Back
Top Bottom