• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Honda experts

I'm really thinking the pump is shout. Sounds like a wrist pin is tapping or rod bearing. I'm thinking about putting a manual guage on it but my next question is, are these worth trying to rebuild or just throw a used engine in a send it to be traded?

I think a used engine is the way to go. There are plenty of these Odysseys/Pilots sitting in pull a part style lots. Most aren't wrecked, but are there because the transmission failed.

Thank you for the link. I wish it were as simple as dropping the oil pan but it appears to be easier to drop the engine and the look at the screen. I almost believe the screen is clogged but I'm just exploring ideas. I figured someone here would know more about it than me and it appeares there are a few. I'm not new to this but am limited to workspace and time now.

I think a used engine is the way to go. There are plenty of these Odysseys/Pilots sitting in pull a part style lots. Most aren't wrecked, but are there because the transmission failed.
That's a big issue with them for sure. I have a 2012 odyssey that slipped time but only on the front cylinders. I inherited it and am still planning on putting a new head on that side as the exhaust valves on all three cylinders made contact with the pistons. The cylinders are good ans the pistons are undamaged so there's that to deal with.

If machine shops were still available with a decent turnaround time and reasonable price it would all be a no brainer, but the few I can find are way to expensive and back logged for months.
If anyone knows a good one that's honest and reputable, I'd be glad to give em my business.

If the concern is engine damage, drain the oil and look for the tell tale sign of glitter. If there’s metal in there, and you really like the car, go with a used motor. By far the easiest solution.
Best of luck

I'm a certified mechanic, never cared to be a tech. Now it would be nice to better understand all the possibilities of a scope. I have a 4 Chanel scope on a snapon Zeus and can use it but not to its full potential. I hate data management and don't do any performance tuning, I can, but I don't. I'm to old to start that.
I’m sorry I bothered ya. You seem to have it whooped pretty good then.

You didn't bother me brother. I was only saying, I'm not a technician. It has me whooped. No metal in the oil but no oil in the filter. I only use mobile 1 filters and either havoline or napa (pretty sure that's valvoline) oil. Always synthetic in everything I own except my mower and sometimes it gets 5-30..

I finally found out there's a way to drop the pan without pulling the whole engine so, that's the plan next. I'm torn between installing a manual guage on it or just drop the pan first and maybe find something on the pu screen. I'll update once I get time to drop the pan. Working outside in the elements sure puts a damper on things.

I finally found out there's a way to drop the pan without pulling the whole engine so, that's the plan next. I'm torn between installing a manual guage on it or just drop the pan first and maybe find something on the pu screen. I'll update once I get time to drop the pan. Working outside in the elements sure puts a damper on things.
It would be nice to find just a clogged screen but I fear that there is more to the story. Unfortunately I haven’t ran across that with Hondas too often :(
Good luck with it ! Keep me updated if you don’t mind….got me curious 🧐 (lol).

Im wondering what could have been dislodged with a flush at 200k. Maybe it is just a screen. Between the flush and changing viscosity at that mileage it could be a number of things.

Back
Top Bottom