• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Honda experts

Im wondering what could have been dislodged with a flush at 200k. Maybe it is just a screen. Between the flush and changing viscosity at that mileage it could be a number of things.
It was and still is a small bit pretty gummed up. Got it that way but the other person didn't know it and didn't see it either. I'm gonna run a camera around in the through the oil pan and see what I can find.

My camshafts got wiped out and were noisy on my 08 Odyssey thanks to the VTec cyllinder shut down.
Replaced them and got a VTEC disabler so the plugs don’t foul from the cyllinder shut down so now I’m constantly running on all six cylinders .
It’s got 280-k miles and still runs like a scalded cat.
I’m a maintenance fanatic so I fix everything before it breaks….lol.

The dealer prices are insane so doing it yourself saves a lot of money depending on capabilities.
Those pricks quoted me $4500 to replace a catalytic converter for a PO420 code.
I did it myself for $250 and a couple hours of work…..man that freaking one bolt sucked.

Curious if you did a valve lash check/adjust after your timing belt job?

I’ve been running Idemitsu 5w20 forever in this thing.

That Honda dealer on exit 14 off 400 is a total joke…..more expensive than Mercedes and they can’t diagnose and fix vehicles for crap.

My wife took it there for a check engine light once on her way to work.
They said they couldn’t find anything but wanted to replace all kinds of crap.
We
Declined.

I ended up changing out a coil pack due to the po305 code which they basically ignored.

I recently had a weird knocking noise that I swore was a wrist pin or something.
I took the belt of and spun the pulleys…..found the alternator bearing was really bad.

New alternator and quiet as a church mouse but man that thing had a perfect rhythmic tap tha sounded so much like mechanical rotating assembly slop.

My camshafts got wiped out and were noisy on my 08 Odyssey thanks to the VTec cyllinder shut down.
Replaced them and got a VTEC disabler so the plugs don’t foul from the cyllinder shut down so now I’m constantly running on all six cylinders .
It’s got 280-k miles and still runs like a scalded cat.
I’m a maintenance fanatic so I fix everything before it breaks….lol.

The dealer prices are insane so doing it yourself saves a lot of money depending on capabilities.
Those pricks quoted me $4500 to replace a catalytic converter for a PO420 code.
I did it myself for $250 and a couple hours of work…..man that freaking one bolt sucked.

Curious if you did a valve lash check/adjust after your timing belt job?

I’ve been running Idemitsu 5w20 forever in this thing.

That Honda dealer on exit 14 off 400 is a total joke…..more expensive than Mercedes and they can’t diagnose and fix vehicles for crap.

My wife took it there for a check engine light once on her way to work.
They said they couldn’t find anything but wanted to replace all kinds of crap.
We
Declined.

I ended up changing out a coil pack due to the po305 code which they basically ignored.

I recently had a weird knocking noise that I swore was a wrist pin or something.
I took the belt of and spun the pulleys…..found the alternator bearing was really bad.

New alternator and quiet as a church mouse but man that thing had a perfect rhythmic tap tha sounded so much like mechanical rotating assembly slop.
I was going to do the valves this weekend but now, I'm going to go get a new psi guage cause my good one never came home after a loan. I'm not sure the knock is detrimental so the pan is coming off right after I check pressures.

I believe it's toast. Got the pan off and it looks like tar was used for oil at some point. Probably rebuildable but is a 3.5 Honda worth the time or find a used on online somewhere.. the screen is completely clogged. I believe it's my fault when I ran flush and seafoam through it.

I believe it's toast. Got the pan off and it looks like tar was used for oil at some point. Probably rebuildable but is a 3.5 Honda worth the time or find a used on online somewhere.. the screen is completely clogged. I believe it's my fault when I ran flush and seafoam through it.
When my wife's Odyssey was wrecked a few years ago, I kept the car and eventually sold the engine and transmission. The guy who bought my engine was a Honda dealership tech and was buying the engine for his family van. He said that the engine in his van had a little over 400k miles and was starting to smoke a little. He was unfazed by the 200k on my engine - just a timing belt, a few seals, and drop it in.

When my wife's Odyssey was wrecked a few years ago, I kept the car and eventually sold the engine and transmission. The guy who bought my engine was a Honda dealership tech and was buying the engine for
When my wife's Odyssey was wrecked a few years ago, I kept the car and eventually sold the engine and transmission. The guy who bought my engine was a Honda dealership tech and was buying the engine for his family van. He said that the engine in his van had a little over 400k miles and was starting to smoke a little. He was unfazed by the 200k on my engine - just a timing belt, a few seals, and drop it in.
I've got the pickup tube and screen, oil pan and splash/windage tray cleaned as if it were new. Going to put it all back together maybe tomorrow morning(if not it'll be Saturday) and see how it is.

I considered changing all the connecting rod bearings but the amount of metallic particles were barely noticeable, I don't think it'll be an issue.
You're already there, might as well check a couple and see what you're dealing with. Unless they are TTY rod or main bolts, I would pull them for a look see.

Back
Top Bottom