• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How can I clean out a fuel tank without removing it?

WildBillHimself

Default rank <2000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Shootist
147   0
Reaction score
It's a '72 Camaro and the tank is probably the original. I found the in-carb fuel filters clogged with dirt and rust. I'm replacing the fuel pump and rebuilding the carb but I don't want to drop the tank out if I can help it. If I have to do that I'll put in a new one. I'm going to use a disposable filter in the line between the tank and the mechanical pump. Has anyone had any success with siphoning or ? to get most or some of the sediment out of an old tank? Thanks for your help.

Ethanol will take care of the tank soon. . . . ..AKA the tank will rust out and you will need a new one. I'd replace it and all the fuel lines. If you daily drive it the sooner the better.

Replace or weep would be my vote as well. You can't clean it in situ, and if you're getting junk in the lines that's almost certainly where it's coming from.

It's a PITA. Do it right the first time by replacing with a new tank. Wear gloves when you do...I have a nasty scar that took several stitches as experience with bare handing it.

Back
Top Bottom