• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How can I clean out a fuel tank without removing it?

It's a '72 Camaro and the tank is probably the original. I found the in-carb fuel filters clogged with dirt and rust. I'm replacing the fuel pump and rebuilding the carb but I don't want to drop the tank out if I can help it. If I have to do that I'll put in a new one. I'm going to use a disposable filter in the line between the tank and the mechanical pump. Has anyone had any success with siphoning or ? to get most or some of the sediment out of an old tank? Thanks for your help.
Almost impossible.. Had to drop mine and I started by using a cheap elec fuel pump to get almost all gas out. Drop it down two straps and 4 hose connections. Get rest of gas out by dumping into catch and let air dry. Next fill with water and dump out again. No fumes. You can used muratic acid to swish around but throw a chain in the tank and spend the next day rolling it around over and over . This knocks off any heavy rust and flakes. If using the acid you will need to wash it out with at least two to one arm and hammer and water to nutrilize the acid.... Or if wanting the biodegradable solution use cider vinager and do the Arm and hammer after it as well
Then take it to car wash or use a pressure washer to rinse out remaining debris. Spray in WD-40 after allowing drying time. Replace all hoses and add large fuel filter on suction side of tank to fuel pump.. Then your good to go . Replace carb filter with paper element with ck valve as the brass will still pass fine sand. Or bring the car to me and I will love it!

Last edited:
It's a '72 Camaro and the tank is probably the original. I found the in-carb fuel filters clogged with dirt and rust. I'm replacing the fuel pump and rebuilding the carb but I don't want to drop the tank out if I can help it. If I have to do that I'll put in a new one. I'm going to use a disposable filter in the line between the tank and the mechanical pump. Has anyone had any success with siphoning or ? to get most or some of the sediment out of an old tank? Thanks for your help.
I work for guns and ammo..just sayin.. Show me some pics.. See avatar I'm a Camaro lover see me at nastyz28.com

I work for guns and ammo..just sayin.. Show me some pics.. See avatar I'm a Camaro lover see me at nastyz28.com
Thanks for your advice, Brad. My car looks like your avatar except it has black stripes. Great body and paint but the previous owner left a lot of mechanical issues undone and/or done wrong. Between my wife and I we have owned about a dozen F bodies over the last 45 years but with old age the work is not as much fun as it used to be.

Thanks for your advice, Brad. My car looks like your avatar except it has black stripes. Great body and paint but the previous owner left a lot of mechanical issues undone and/or done wrong. Between my wife and I we have owned about a dozen F bodies over the last 45 years but with old age the work is not as much fun as it used to be.
awesome..mine is a 73 Z/28 numbers car with 4spd..i have had over that amount too between the camaros ,firebirds , T/As i know these cars inside and out...if the tanks is original keep it thats one more part that is factory once...but if you do change it for new keep it as next owner may restore it concourse ..Is yours a K code or L code ???

Back
Top Bottom