• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do I improve Powder Measure time?

3rd Rail

Default rank <750 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
36   0
Reaction score
I've been reloading rifle rounds for about a year now, and find measuring powder is the slowest step in the process. Using check weights I confirm between throws and catch the scales drifting up or down 1/10th. Feels like I'm chasing that last tenth most of the time.
Curious how precision loaders improve their times and maintain 1/10 gn or better accuracy.

I run a single stage press and use a Lee Powder Measure Deluxe to throw the initial charge. Throws vary about a grain, so initial throw is light then trickle up to the exact amount, e.g., 43.2 gn. Trickling up on a digital doesn't register a tenth. Sure, mine is a cheapo Franklin pocket scale, but I read the same thing happens with the Gempros and comparably priced scales. I also have a couple of beam scales. Similar drift issue in the middle of the charging session - plus the scale needs to be at eye level. Sore back and powder spills are inevitable.

So what's the real answer here? Magnetic scale? Beam scale with camera and laptop? Loosen the tolerance?
Hoping someone here has a suggestion how to improve the process.

Unless you are loading for competition or just trying to get the utmost accuracy out of your rifle you don't need every load to have exactly the same amount of powder in it. As long as you are within 1 or 2 tenths of a grain you are still going to be on target at 100 or even 200 yards which is fine if you are hunting around here. Hunting in Colorado or Wyoming might be a different story.

Are you loading for competition shooting?
Not for competition, but for pride. Paper 100-600 yd .308

I’ve been using this one for a couple years- found an online cheat to speed it up. Runs pretty fast until the last 2 gr then slows down for precise drop. Set it for 92.5 & it drops 92.5 every time.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/7...500-powder-scale-and-dispenser-combo-110-volt
Yeah this is probably the most practical solution. I've read that different kinds of powders vary in accuracy. I'm using IMR-4064 which is extruded. Any chance you're using something similar?

Unless you are loading for competition or just trying to get the utmost accuracy out of your rifle you don't need every load to have exactly the same amount of powder in it. As long as you are within 1 or 2 tenths of a grain you are still going to be on target at 100 or even 200 yards which is fine if you are hunting around here. Hunting in Colorado or Wyoming might be a different story.
I just picked up another rifle and am ready to work up a load for it. I feel the initial test rounds need to be dead on, but after that your suggestion is probably right.

Back
Top Bottom