• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How Do You Carry A 1911

How Do You Carry a 1911 (or other hammer fired)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Every 1911 I have ever carried was ALWAYS cocked and locked....

When I carry a 1911 I carry it in a Galco TR266 holster this is a full kydex IWB holster that covers the safety but is made so as you draw your thumb automatically is in position to disengage the safety. I will say I tried carrying them in a leather IWB that did not cover the safety and I didn't feel safe after finding the safety off a few times, so from now on I stick with that Galco holster.

I have never carried anything with out one n the chamber, if for some freak reason I did feel unsafe that way, I wouldn't carry it.

Speaking of this what condition is a Glock considered with one chambered?

Last edited:
Perfection :behindsofa:

I'm being for real though...out of the amount I have carried probably 99% of the time it has been and currently is a Glock.

Like you still have to activate the safety by pulling the trigger, but thats not a manual safety persay, but also as with any striker fired pistol it isn't cocked until you pull the trigger....So what is it.....All I know is I consider very safe.

After reading a lot about condition 1 on the 1911, I have decided to start training and carrying this way. I will still unload the chamber when the gun is at home because of my young children.

If I had to call it anything, I'd call it condition 2. :noidea:

It is technically condition 2, though that causes some confusion for some people. Generally, a higher number condition is associated with "safer" or "less likely to have an accidental/negligent discharge." That makes perfect sense when dealing with condition 4-3-1-0 on a handgun like the Beretta M9. Glocks and other similar guns, when chambered with a full magazine inserted are considered condition 2. This, however, is the equivalent of condition 0 for an M9 as the only action required to fire the weapon is to pull the trigger on purpose. As such, calling it condition 2 (which it is) can lead people to think it is in a "more safe" condition than a 1911/M9/etc in condition 1.

As a Combat MP who was attached to a company that still used the 1911, we were trained to carry it in Condition 3. I also have a former Marine buddy that was a MP and he was also trained the same way. He said that when they switched to the M9, he ejected the chambered round of the M9 out on his draw from the years of training with a 1911.

When I carry my 1911 and I prefer the 1911, it is Cocked and Locked. Because I have trained to carry in Condition 3 and trained with people that do carry in Condition 3, I have confidence that it will work but it just isn't for me.

To say that you are comfortable with Condition 1 carry in 1911, but not comfortable carrying a Glock with a round chambered show as much ignorance of design as those that fear 1911 Condition 1 carry.

Luke

Back
Top Bottom