• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How Do You Carry A 1911

How Do You Carry a 1911 (or other hammer fired)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would, but one time I found my kimber's thumb safety disengaged while IWB carrying (probably my fat muffin top). I realize it has a grip safety but I am not comfortable with it. Not saying it isn't safe, I am just not comfortable with my current level of training with the 1911.
plus I like the sound of coking the hammer :)

I do not walk around "blindfolded", unaware of my surroundings. I am mentally and physically secure enough with my knowledge, training and awareness to do so.

What do you do when you pull the slide and it malfunctions. Might want to add that to your mental check list. Just sayin!

It's funny to me that those that laud the glocks lack of a safety on the grounds that it adds an unnecessary step during a stressful situation are more often than not going to be carrying conditions 2 or 3...

I respect your opinion but I must disagree with you. The US Army operating manual did not design the gun, obviously a cocked and locked firearm freaked people out back then too, they weren't used to that.

This is just my opinion, "conjecture" as you say, but it seems logical to me that JMB intended the 1911 to be able to be carried safely in condition 1 so the gun could be ready to use very quickly. Since the 1911 is single action and not DA/SA, the ability to carry it cocked and locked allows you to ready the firearm as quickly or almost as quickly as any DA/SA. JMB put a lot of thought into his design.

Lowering the hammer on a 1911 when a round is in the chamber is very risky. Not only that, in a situation where you would need to draw your gun, do you really want to be fumbling around trying to cock the hammer?

You make valid points and I am obviously just picking. Neither of us were there so it's fun to speculate on what JB was thinking. I prefer a DA/SA like the CZ to a 1911.

Back
Top Bottom