• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How Do You Carry A 1911

How Do You Carry a 1911 (or other hammer fired)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My comments were directed toward the person who asked about what condition a Glock would be considered with a round chambered. Most of today's semi-automatic pistols such as Glocks (not all, just most) can be operated as I mentioned in the various conditions. Specific manufacturers and models will vary, with 1911 style being obviously different as would SA only handguns etc. My major point being that outside of pulling the trigger, there is at least one step required to allow the gun to shoot with the exception of guns which are in Condition 0 (for models with a safety), or Condition 2 (for all non-SAO models).

I personally keep any gun I'm carrying in Condition 1 as all my carry guns have a manual safety and that is what I am most familiar/comfortable with. The decision is up to the individual on what weapon and carry method they are most familiar and/or comfortable with.

Ok, I get what you were saying now. Although with the built in safeties in Glocks I would say that carrying with a round in the chamber is more like carrying in condition 1.

Ok, I get what you were saying now. Although with the built in safeties in Glocks I would say that carrying with a round in the chamber is more like carrying in condition 1.

Grab gun, pull trigger, gun fires = Condition 0 or condition 2. Any other condition requires another physical step which must be taken in order for the weapon to fire.

Grab gun, pull trigger, gun fires = Condition 0 or condition 2. Any other condition requires another physical step which must be taken in order for the weapon to fire.

This. Condition 0. Same as a 1911 sitting there, hot, with no safety engaged.

A 1911 in Condition 2, must first be cocked before you can pull the trigger and the gun fire. Condition 2 is round chambered, hammer down. Since a 1911 is Single Action only, you must pull the hammer back to make it so that the trigger can activate it.

Luke

If I carried a 1911, it'd be 'cocked and locked'.
But since I normally carry a Sig, then hammer down, one in the pipe.
And, because the hammer is not actually touching the firing pin, I don't have 'that' as a worry.
I also don't like to have to think about sweeping a safety, but that's all about practice with your carry weapon.

Conditions of Readiness as outlined by Jeff Cooper:

Devised by pistol expert Jeff Cooper, this convention is used to designate the state of readiness of a m1911 pistol. It can also be applied to most other designs of auto loading pistols. There are 5 conditions 0 - 4.

Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the safety is off. (if safe action no hammer or safety is present)
Condition 1 - Also refereed to as "cocked and locked", this means that a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety is on.
Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber, the hammer is uncocked (or decocker was deployed before holstering).
Condition 3 - There is no round in the chamber, the hammer is uncocked but a fully loaded magazine is inserted in the magazine well.
Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, the hammer is uncocked and there is no magazine inserted in the magazine well (or unloaded magazine inserted into the magazine well.)

Condition 1 is the preferred state of readiness if carrying a Single Action autoloader like the 1911 as it offers the best balance between safety and readiness. It does seem menacing to the untrained as the sight of a cocked hammer makes some people needlessly nervous. With Safe Action pistols such as Glock, the hammer and safety are off without being as obvious to the untrained onlooker.

Condition 2 is not recommended in the 1911 as it has no decocker and would entail pulling the trigger and slowly lowering the hammer on a loaded chamber. This both violates a gun safety rule and renders you with a gun that will not fire even if the trigger is pulled. And should the hammer slip you will then have a negligent discharge and possibly a broken thumb when the slide hits it on the recoil. On a DA/SA pistol with a decocker, such as the H&K USP Variant 1, this is a safe and ready way to carry. Where you can draw the pistol with a longer/heavier double action first pull of the trigger.

Condition 3 offers an added margin of safety as there is actually no round in the chamber but has the disadvantage of taking a relatively longer time to get into action. The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) is trained to carry their sidearms this way and hence the name "Israeli Draw".

Condition 4 is by far the safest way to carry a firearm, but is no way to carry a concealed sidearm for self defense, unless there are legal reasons you can not carry a loaded firearm. Should you be unfortunate enough to be in such a country, carry a gun anyway, three seconds to put a gun in action still beats not having a firearm.

IMO: Don't carry out of your comfort zone. Same as riding a motorcycle. Stay in your comfort zone. My Kimber stays cocked and locked with an open holster because I'm comfortable with it. When I first starting carrying, it was a Glock with a full mag and empty chamber because it made me nervous. Eventually, I got used to the idea of carrying a loaded weapon and comfortable with that weapon. Again just my IMO: an unloaded gun is a death sentence. But ain't it cool we have so many options???

Take care, ride safe, fair winds and following seas.

Back
Top Bottom