• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How Do You Carry A 1911

How Do You Carry a 1911 (or other hammer fired)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gunfighter

Army Icon
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
291   0
Reaction score
This poll was begat in response to another ODT'er having no idea about Conditions of Carry and stating that as I "traipse" around in Condition 1 that I have "no business talking about firearms safety" . So tell me, how do you carry the 1911?

If you don't have a 1911, but have a Hammer Fired weapon (Hi Power, FNP, FNX,) Please vote as well...

P.S. It's Condition 2 NOT Condition 3
Unchangeable Typo... SORRY!

Last edited:
If you actually look at the mechanics in the 1911 between the grip safety and the thumb safety it is a very "safe action system" and a very strong safety method. I feel more comfortable with a 1911 in condition 1 than a Glock or other striker fired piece.

Last edited:
The 1911 was designed to be carried cocked and locked, the thumb safety does not work with the hammer down.
I open carried a 1911 when I was working in a gun store, the appearance of the hammer being cocked did freak some people out, but I always explained to them that's how the 1911 was designed to be carried.

That being said, when I was new to 1911's, I too thought it was crazy to carry it cocked and locked, until I got familiar with the design.

If I didn't carry in condition 1, I would carry without a round in the chamber (which is not a good idea), but it is a better idea than to try and lower the hammer on a round in the chamber. The only logical way to carry a 1911 is cocked and locked, IMO if you're not comfortable with that then you should carry something else.

Last edited:
I carried all my 1911's and my FNX 40 and FNP cocked and locked.

Edit just to say I can't stand the people that freak out about this. The most important safety any firearm has is attached yo your hand. Keep your finger off the trigger, and the gun won't fire, and if it does you better get rid of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom