• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you stay occupied in the deer stand?

I've got a big extended battery pack I put on the phone during deer season. love android phones cause of that.
Normally first light to 9 I'm standing then I'll play deer hunter 2014 til I run out of lives which doesn't take long ill drink something maybe a small snack but normally stay out til 1 or 2. Since I do wmas. I like for everyone to move around heading out to lunch before I get down.

But if its sunday race day ill listen to the race on tunein radio app or iheart. Super low with one head phone in. I got a set of head phones i cut one side off so they couldn't hear the one that wasnt inear. bu these are Georgia deer so they come in too listen to a good nascar race

But if its sunday race day ill listen to the race on tunein radio app or iheart. Super low with one head phone in. I got a set of head phones i cut one side off so they couldn't hear the one that wasnt inear. bu these are Georgia deer so they come in too listen to a good nascar race
gotta work today gonna miss the race.......Hope Jimmy gets a DNF...

I like to sit and listen to the wildlife. Hell just yesterday I watched 2 Redbirds fight over one female. 20 minuets later I had 15 turkeys walk 30ft away from me and I was sitting on the ground in a ditch. Needless to say my camo worked perfectly. Surf ODT looking for a deal or play games after sitting for a while. Get up and stalk the woods looking for new rubs, tracks, and bedding areas. I also take a back up power supply.

I like to bring a small notepad and write down things that I observe from animal activity like squirrels, birds, deer, etc, especially the deer activity and habits.
I write down all I can about my hunt.
What Time I got in, weather conditions, what Im wearing, what attractants, scents or cover scents Im using, wind direction and my position, etc.

I've sat on stand numerous times from sunup to sunset and bring snacks, coffee, water or sometimes nothing at all depending on how deep in I am in the forest.

I've had small woodpeckers land on my hand before.
Had dozens of turkeys gobble from the treetops and dive bomb from the tree one by one after hearing a fly down call.

I've heard small birds that sound like chains rattling, got eaten alive by noseeums, had snakes pay me a visit, sat in a tree on a ridge that got pounded by circling winds to the point where most people would have thrown up but to me it was like an amuzement park ride and fun as hell.....I saw baby bears playing, saw bears traveling together with one baby trailing a half hour behind only to spin in circles and jump up and down with excitement once it sniffed its siblings scent on the same trail, bobcats, dogs, hogs, packs of coyotes communicating vocally with each other and recording their behavior.
Coyote packs are interesting to run into when a pack of them are observing you in your tree and are communicating with each other....unless its almost dark and you're about to get down.
Usually one of them is the alpha and will bark commands at the others, very intelligent and cool to witness.
Saw a black possum fighting a white one and numerous other interesting animal activities, saw daddy long legs sucking every blood drop from a deer I was tracking.
See spider eyes glowing like diamonds in the leaves at night.
Heard owls that sound like feedback from a police megaphone.

I try to stay alert as possible and have seen deer appear and disappear silently like someone flipped a switch.....easy to miss with your eyes closed.

I'm going to get my grandson into hunting when he gets a little older and I am going to pass my notebooks on to him for a keepsake once he is old enough and responsible enough to appreciate them.

Some of it is like a diary and some just hasty notes but nonetheless should be cool once he gets older.

Last edited:
^this^ is awesome. I log all of my hunts but it is after my hunt is over so some details get missed. Do you go back and try to find patterns in activity and try to link other things together. I find that fun.

I like to bring a small notepad and write down things that I observe from animal activity like squirrels, birds, deer, etc, especially the deer activity and habits.
What Time I got in, weather conditions, what Im wearing, what attractants, scents or cover scents Im using, wind direction and my position, etc.

I've sat on stand numerous times from sunup to sunset and bring snacks, coffee, water or sometimes nothing at all depending on how deep in I am in the forest.

Had dozens of turkeys gobble from the treetops and dive bomb from the tree one by one after hearing a fly down call.

I've heard small birds that sound like chains rattling, got eaten alive by noseeums, had snakes pay me a visit, sat in a tree on a ridge that got pounded by circling winds to the point where most people would have thrown up but to me it was like an amuzement park ride and fun as hell.....I saw baby bears playing, saw bears traveling together with one baby trailing a half hour behind only to spin in circles and jump up and down with excitement once it sniffed its siblings scent on the same trail, bobcats, dogs, hogs, packs of coyotes communicating vocally with each other and recording their behavior.
Coyote packs are interesting to run into when a pack of them are observing you in your tree and are communicating with each other....unless its almost dark and you're about to get down.
Usually one of them is the alpha and will bark commands at the others, very intelligent and cool to witness.
Saw a black possum fighting a white one and numerous other interesting animal activities, saw daddy long legs sucking every blood drop from a deer I was tracking.

I try to stay alert as possible and have seen deer appear and disappear silently like someone flipped a switch.....easy to miss with your eyes closed.

I'm going to get my grandson into hunting when he gets a little older and I am going to pass my notebooks on to him for a keepsake once he is old enough and responsible enough to appreciate them.

Some of it is like a diary and some just hasty notes but nonetheless should be cool once he gets older.
I like this!! Very cool and time passes I'm sure.

I will be getting a note pad for my hunting pack here soon. Good idea! Been hunting for years and wished I could remember half of what I have seen!

Back
Top Bottom