• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you wash and store your hunting clothes?

I wash in Free and Clear detergent and before hitting the woods I spray down with this head to toe. Been using this for 3 years now and wind isn't even a problem anymore. View attachment 4837529
I bought this last year and tried it once and the smell was so strange I thought it was a hoax. Been reading/watching some YouTube and I guess it’s the real deal. I’ll try it again this year.

I live on a pretty remote mountain and I have 12 Toms, a spike, a 4 point, a 6 point and a dozen does that hang around everyday. Monday I was blowing leaves in the backyard and turned around and 10 of Toms were standing 15 feet away watching what I was doing. Critters get used to smells, sounds and people but they will scatter if they see or smell anyone but me or my wife.
Hunting on the ground I've had toms nearly in my lap before they see me. Needless to say they're quite startled.....LOL...

Sometimes I wash with scent killer detergent and spray everything down with scent killer and pack it in my tote.

I have also killed deer wearing dirty clothes, eating flaming hot Cheetos, and peeing out the window of the box stand. Deer aren’t spooked as easy as people trying to sell you stuff would have you believe.
This^^^^^

Killed a deer once taking a dump in the woods sitting on my porta- potty(walker with toilet seat attached) - old dog hunter trick. While smoking a Marlboro and wearing the clothes from the previous all night poker game- with orange vest on.

Deer get used to more than you know. If you can it’s best to tromp around your hunting area all year pissing and laying down your scent. Deer don’t flee their home/core area, not even mature deer.

This^^^^^

Killed a deer once taking a dump in the woods sitting on my porta- potty(walker with toilet seat attached) - old dog hunter trick. While smoking a Marlboro and wearing the clothes from the previous all night poker game- with orange vest on.

Deer get used to more than you know. If you can it’s best to tromp around your hunting area all year pissing and laying down your scent. Deer don’t flee their home/core area, not even mature deer.
Only one, I've taken quite a few that way. Even trophies. Always, I mean always be prepared.

For deer, I wash mine in baking soda and water, dry them in the dryer and store them in a large plastic tote with an opened box of baking soda inside. In between hunts ill hang them outside for a bit and then put them back in the tote. I don't wash them after every hunt, just as they need it. There really is no substitute for wind direction. Then of course during turkey season I dont worry about it.

I use whatever laundry detergent and dryer sheets are on clearance in the sporting goods dept at Walmart after the season. I will grab a stick of the deodorant as well. Store in plastic bag in a tote. I will throw in the old dryer sheet and some pine needles. I will wear several times unless I sweat in them. I will touch up especially my boots at times with scent killer to get my dogs off my boots.

I will use pine needles to run over my hands if I'm concerned I have something on them. I've chewed them to eliminate coffee breath. I admit if a deer is that close I'm in trouble or asleep. I have killed them just off from work and in regular clothes before.

However, my uncle killed more deer than I could ever hope to. He would sit in his stands all year long just watching. I also remember him meeting us in the mornings with a new pack of cigarettes and a six pack of beer.

Old thread, old standby method. Soak all hunting gear overnight in ammonia and water mix after washing in unscented detergent and hang to dry. You’ll be surprised by just how nasty your clothes are after the wash. This is just from my harness, I don’t put it in the washer though.

Attachments

• IMG_9466.jpeg
    IMG_9466.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom