• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How effective are artificial scrapes?

I'm in the Norther zone and I can't bait. Unless it's a food plot, which I cannot do on this property, every sign of supplemental feeding has to be gone no less than ten days before I hunt the area.
I hunt northern zone as well. You can have an established mineral site. You just can’t put fresh stuff in it 10 days before you hunt and it all has to be soaked into the ground. DNR literally told me I could mix salt and sugar or whatever I wanted with water and pour it out during season, as long as it was all soaked into the ground there was no problem.

I’ve had varying results with mock scrapes...seen bucks walk right past them and have had them come in on a line. I put them out sometimes just to give myself a few more seconds if the buck decides to stop and investigate.

For holding big bucks though...have food, cover and low pressure and chances are he might stay around.
My biggest concern is that a mock scrape doesn't push him out of the area. I've seen deer spook when they smell what is supposed to be a deer urine based attractant.

I hunt northern zone as well. You can have an established mineral site. You just can’t put fresh stuff in it 10 days before you hunt and it all has to be soaked into the ground. DNR literally told me I could mix salt and sugar or whatever I wanted with water and pour it out during season, as long as it was all soaked into the ground there was no problem.
Interesting.

And I have trail cam pics from right when they start growing antlers up until they start shedding the velvet. All hours of the day too, they love a good mineral site and will consistently hit it.

My biggest concern is that a mock scrape doesn't push him out of the area. I've seen deer spook when they smell what is supposed to be a deer urine based attractant.

He looks to be mature...not sure it would spook him smelling another “scrape”. I wouldn’t put any out till October 2018 if you decide to. And stay out of the area as much as possible. I think pressure runs deer off more than anything.

Back
Top Bottom