• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How Has Your Collecting Philosophy Evolved

artd

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
67   0
Reaction score
It would be interesting to hear how individual collecting philosophies have evolved and changed.

When I began, it was initially driven by the available of cheap surplus rifles and their accessories. You could find a lot of different surplus rifles for $100 or less. So at that time, for me, it was buy one of everything.

I then evolved into Mausers and began to look for and buy examples of military Mausers from all the different countries. Next I found myself focusing on rifles and weapons of WW1 and WW2. Then I transitioned to US military rifles only and collected everything from Trapdoors to an early Colt AR15 and everything in between.

My most recent evolution has been to the Springfield 1922 series of rifles. I currently have eleven different variances and am watching number twelve. It is interesting that the older I become the more interested I become in rimfire rifles.

I have owned and sold hundreds of rifles as my collecting interests have changed. I can only wonder what the future holds for my collecting interest.

It would be interesting to hear how individual collecting philosophies have evolved and changed.

When I began, it was initially driven by the available of cheap surplus rifles and their accessories. You could find a lot of different surplus rifles for $100 or less. So at that time, for me, it was buy one of everything.

I then evolved into Mausers and began to look for and buy examples of military Mausers from all the different countries. Next I found myself focusing on rifles and weapons of WW1 and WW2. Then I transitioned to US military rifles only and collected everything from Trapdoors to an early Colt AR15 and everything in between.

My most recent evolution has been to the Springfield 1922 series of rifles. I currently have eleven different variances and am watching number twelve. It is interesting that the older I become the more interested I become in rimfire rifles.

I have owned and sold hundreds of rifles as my collecting interests have changed. I can only wonder what the future holds for my collecting interest.

Funny you should mention this because as a coin collector, we go thru the same process, eventually deciding on a specific coin or time frame. I started with modern coins, dabbled in ancients, picked up a bunch of coins of the Bible and think I'm finally settling on flying Eagle pennies as a real collection. As far as guns/weapons, I'm more of a utilitarian, what works best in what situation and then own a few fun guns I enjoy.

I used to by any and everything that caught my eye. But always loved .22 rimfires. Especially Ruger Mark IIs. So about 10 years ago I set my mind to try and get at least one of each model Mark II made and learn all I could on the Mark IIs. I have found it more interesting doing this than just getting whatever I found interesting at the moment.

Great Question. I once sent a note to a friend saying the following " I think I have owned them all.. Mausers, Enfields, 1903A3, Mosins, Garands, M14 Variant, There is nothing left...." He said " Isn't it great to be able to have a choice?" I agreed and have been building Garands and shooting them for a number of years now. I think that design fits me perfectly and I have family connection to the rifle. My Grandfather trained and used it in WW2 and my Dad trained on the M1 before going to Vietnam. It's my go to collector piece.

Back
Top Bottom