• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How Has Your Collecting Philosophy Evolved

I think rimfires are desirable to us old geezers. They remind us of our youth. With no recoil. and cheap ammo.

I hate to class myself among the old geezers (I’m only 45!) but I agree with this statement. I grew up shooting a 10/22 nearly every day after school, and then put it up (and later sold it!) because it was boring. Mow I enjoy shooting .22s more than anything else. It’s just a lot easier all the way around, and if you get your hanspds on a full-size 22 it just can’t be beat for pure recreational shooting.

Whatever video games I play dictates the toys I buy now. RDR2 came out and been shooting wheel guns and shotguns a lot more than usual. When fortnite Came out i bought a scar 16 and 17.

My collection hasn't change to drastically. At one time I was into double digits on AR's, but have lost interest in them for the most part, and have traded off most of them since and during the panic. My main interest in firearms is rifles with nice wood, bolt guns and lever rifles.

I started off wanting one of everything. A bolt gun, a lever, a single shot, a semi auto, a revolver, etc. Then wanted all different major calibers. 9, 45, 357, 44, 223, 243, 308, 300wm, 45-70, etc.

After spending lots of money and having lots of guns I never shot, I started selling and settled on “needs”, not wants. 9mm, 223, 308, 12g, and 22LR. These do everything I need so I don’t buy anything in other calibers.

I now have fewer guns but shoot them more and enjoy them.

It would be interesting to hear how individual collecting philosophies have evolved and changed.

When I began, it was initially driven by the available of cheap surplus rifles and their accessories. You could find a lot of different surplus rifles for $100 or less. So at that time, for me, it was buy one of everything.

I then evolved into Mausers and began to look for and buy examples of military Mausers from all the different countries. Next I found myself focusing on rifles and weapons of WW1 and WW2. Then I transitioned to US military rifles only and collected everything from Trapdoors to an early Colt AR15 and everything in between.

My most recent evolution has been to the Springfield 1922 series of rifles. I currently have eleven different variances and am watching number twelve. It is interesting that the older I become the more interested I become in rimfire rifles.

I have owned and sold hundreds of rifles as my collecting interests have changed. I can only wonder what the future holds for my collecting interest.
You will get to the point where you keep only what you feel you need.

Its always been milsurp for me. Tried ARs several times but they have no soul and i get no pleasure from them (except the odt lowers). I seem to be moving towards the older US milsurps as deals can be found. Owning an authentic rifle/musket from the 1800's that can still be safely fired is a lot of fun but can get expensive.

Back
Top Bottom