• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How long before a labrador puppy will stop biting?

Real labs are awesome. They can understand what you mean even if your commands arent always the same. My experience it takes at least two years up to five years to get the puppy out of the lab, depending on the dog. My yellow labs grow out of puppy stage earlier, around one year or more.
But they’re extremely trainable. Should be easy to train that dog not to bite you. Train only five minutes a day, that’s all they can pay attention. They’ll be sitting, staying, Leaving food on the ground without touching it, and coming to you within a few days.

The best thing you can do, once he she gets bigger, it’s exercise the dog.Their full of energy and have to get it out. If you don’t allow them to exercise, they will just work it out on your chair leg (chew it up).
They seem to stay a puppy for awhile..chew/dig, then dig/chew. Mine even dug up red tips I had planted along a fence line, all but one in the middle, go figure. They are great dogs, eventually.

They'll bite until they outgrow the puppy stage.....then you'll have a dog that bites.

My 3 year old has stopped biting most of the time, he knows the boundaries and how much is to much. It's a learning experience just like us humans, remember puppies don't have fingers or hands to use as tools, they have to explore and find the limitations you put on them.

Also, it wouldn't be a bad thing to start brushing there teeth, I made the mistake of not starting my 8 year old and he's rejecting it a lot worse than the 3 year old. Dog's need tooth care too.

I guess I'm just super fortunate, I've had 3 Labs and I didn't have any holes dug, biting, or anything chewed up.
My Labs never chewed up their toys. I always supplied them with bones and toys.
My lab of 12+ years, has a stuffed teddybear that she's had since she was 6 months old. She still plays with it occasionally.
She'll kill a grown coon, but goes easy on the toys.

Labs are a real handful when they’re young. They also get sick a lot when young, they will eat anything and everything. But as they get older, they get iron stomach’s, and they never get sick.

I tried chew toys for my labs.Never really works like I hoped. They may chew a toy, but they like variety. They’ll keep moving to furniture and other things. They seem to prefer real wood sticks. Exercise them is the best idea, so they’re tired.

Crate train them. Amazing dogs if you can make it through the first year or two.

I treat my dog like she is very intelligent. Therefore she is. It's just like raising kids. Most dogs will never be any smarter than their owner.:wacko:

When will Little Johnny stop kicking people i the shin? After I tell him once, then he does it again, and I beat that ass, that's when he'll stop.:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom