• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How many HAM radio operators here?

83rdrecon

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
21   0
Reaction score
I've had my Tech license now since 1996. Really easy to get, and will be very helpful once SHTF. Even a comm SOP over at arfcom to follow...

For those of us up in northern Ga, we'd be able to communicate pretty well with repeaters and even so without if you get some height on your antenna...

Two-Dogs is pretty big into it I think. He mentioned it, and had a amatuer radio tag or however its phrased tag on his vehicle. How's the move coming along?

I've had my General for about a year. Haven't done a lot with it though. I have a 2m/440 in the truck that I play with mostly. I've played around with attic and wire antennas, not had too much luck. Due to my unfortunate location in a sub division, I can't have a tower. One of these days I'll get back around to playing with wire antennas on HF.

I want to get one sometime in the near future. Not long ago I got into the dreaded 11 meter radios and have had fun with it but as you know CB is mostly a joke as far as serious COMM goes. It is cool contacting people in different parts of the world but the BS you hear and the endless noise on CB is pretty discouraging. I've gotten to the point that I rarely turn the radio on anymore because there is no one to have a serious conversation with and if you are talking it's not long before some dumb arse jumps in blabbing about something.

I've got a few questions:

First, what do I have to do to get my HAM license?.....i.e. test, qualifications, study?

Second, I've got 85' of tower and lots of LMR solid core coax. Could that be used with a HAM antenna? The coax currently has PL259 plugs but I could easily change those. I'm pretty sure my IMAX 2000 omnidirectional wont work outside of 10/11 meter.

Third, I suppose a good 2 meter transceiver would be best to start with? I've got an old Kenwood but I'd like to upgrade.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'd be interested in how to get into Ham radio also. Need to get CB back up running. Can get on sidebands and get out of noise usually but not many people run more than cobra 29s back when I'd get on there. Had a. Connex 3300 with wilson 5000 and a lil go juice box. That thing was interesting talking up north like across town

First, what do I have to do to get my HAM license?.....i.e. test, qualifications, study?

Yes, there are tests for each class. (Tech, General, Extra). Tech is the first and gives you 2m/440. It also gives you CW (morse code) on other bands. General is what most people get, gives you voice on all bands. Extra gives you a little wider frequency range on the lower bands.

I used these study guides to get mine. Having an electronics background, I found the tests amazingly easy.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...x=0&y=0&ih=3_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_1.123_120&fsc=-1

Here is a link to find a testing center:

http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

The AARL site also has lots of good information.

This is a practice test site:

http://www.qrz.com/ham/

Second, I've got 85' of tower and lots of LMR solid core coax. Could that be used with a HAM antenna? The coax currently has PL259 plugs but I could easily change those. I'm pretty sure my IMAX 2000 omnidirectional wont work outside of 10/11 meter.
An 85' tower would work quite nicely. LMR400? Thats good coax and will work great. Same for the PL259 plugs. I don't know anything about the IMAX 2000, but yes, you would need an antenna that is made for the frequency you wish to transmit on.

Third, I suppose a good 2 meter transceiver would be best to start with? I've got an old Kenwood but I'd like to upgrade.

Thanks
That is what a lot of people start out with. One you pass the first test, Tech, you can talk on 2m/440. With all the repeaters around, 2m/440 has quite a range. With an 85' tower, unless you're blocked by a mountain, you would have pretty decent performance without the repeaters, as well as being able to hit repeaters a long way away. (With a decent antenna on your tower of course)

Been a ham since the mid 70's. Also had a 1st Class Commercial License with a radar endorsement but left it expire. I'm not even sure there's a need for commercial license. Never did me much good.

I get on 40m and 2m occasionally. We use touse it alot more before the days of cellphones. It was great 2m phone patch.

Advanced Class KS4VR

73's

I'm a tech for the last couple years. Got into for SHTF commo with some likeminded buddies.
We were all in pretty hard at first but work, economy and family intrude...

I'm a member on the Sawnee Mountain repeater and try to have a radio on there and another on Cartersville or .520 in the evenings. Mostly I listen.

CB sux most of the time but according to a friend, ki4sgu, the truckers and othrs stepped up after Katrina when they were the only commo available. JL knows he was in it up to his neck.So maybe there is hope on that front.

KJ4DMB, Tim in Kennesaw.

Back
Top Bottom