• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How many is too many?

I have been selling off guns the past two years to get to the bare minimum. My son is my only heir and he has picked out a couple that he will keep. I am trying not to own too much of anything, to get ready for the end.
The greatest thing you can do for those left behind is allow them to mourn without the burden of your junk. I applaud you.
It broke my heart and I didnt understand when my Pappy told his kids he was sorry. " I have burdened yall with my dreams and that isnt fair to yall". I now get it and have since lost all of his kids.

At the end of the day, there are only so many you will likely shoot... I am reducing my collection, for that reason... Ammo, I will keep due top fluctuating prices and occasional scarcity... But so long as you have a handgun or two, a revolver or two, a shot or two, bolt gun... You have all bases covered...

If SHTF, how many guns can you shoot at once, or carry? Same thing with ammo. 100k sounds awesome, but you can't grab 1,200lbs of ammo in a backpack and head for the hills...

You also have to consider where you live. I love the idea of a .50 cal rifle, but $5 per bullet for a gun with a range that exceeds any open space I am likely to encounter by a factor of 10... meh...

I think I'm starting to get into the "maybe too many" when I start buying duplicates. I came home excited 2 weeks ago and was like "Hey honey, check out this Super Blackhawk!" she was like "You already have that exact pistol" to which I said HARUMPF!

She promptly opened the spreadsheet and was like.. "Make: Ruger. Model Super Blackhawk, Cal. 44 Magnum. 10" Barrel. Finish, Blued. Serial # XXXX. Purchased 08/11/2018, Condition, Used. Private Sale, $600. Notes, None. Safe #3."

That's what I get for marrying a smart-ass Data Engineer :D

I think I'm starting to get into the "maybe too many" when I start buying duplicates. I came home excited 2 weeks ago and was like "Hey honey, check out this Super Blackhawk!" she was like "You already have that exact pistol" to which I said HARUMPF!

She promptly opened the spreadsheet and was like.. "Make: Ruger. Model Super Blackhawk, Cal. 44 Magnum. 10" Barrel. Finish, Blued. Serial # XXXX. Purchased 08/11/2018, Condition, Used. Private Sale, $600. Notes, None. Safe #3."

That's what I get for marrying a smart-ass Data Engineer :D
I should write down that information on my firearms.

I should write down that information on my firearms.

I told my wife that I have "never lost money on guns" and she took that as an opportunity to build a database with all of them in there and what I paid so when I sell one she can analyze the return, or when I tell her it's such a great deal she can look at data on what recent sales of the same model were so she can predict its investment value.

She's a real hoot at parties.

Back
Top Bottom