• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How many of your can hold 1 MOA from your typical shooting position while hunting?

I knew someone was gonna say that .
Just don't tell anyone if it's a pic of a deer that tripped and impaled itself on an arrow that I lost last year and never recovered.lol.

We have shooting lanes about 4-5 yards wide, but they are not that long since we only hunt 64 acres on a lake. I like to hunt where they live and my brother likes to hunt where they are easy to find. Some of the places I hunt, 50 yards in and you could hide a bull dozen and I wouldn't see it.

I've been hunting since I could walk. I don't know why but the first buck I ever shot in Georgia gave me the worst buck fever ever. I had shot multiple deer (bucks and does) prior to moving here and had shot a doe here but hadn't yet taken a buck in Georgia. This was several years ago but I had shot a doe out of this particular ground stand one evening. The very next morning in the exact same spot a young 8 pointer came walking towards me. I was shaking so bad that I actually had to put the rifle down because I was laughing at MYSELF! It was the most hysterical and ridiculous thing/feeling I can recall. I finally composed myself enough to get back on target and pull the trigger before the stupid thing was in my lap. I still smile when I think about it. I haven't had anything remotely close happen since despite killing much nicer bucks here since then, but I still smile every time I think about it. :)

My heart rate jumps when I see nice antlers too. I start shaking after a shot. My brother is the same way. All I can think when I see a nice buck is "if I don't shoot I'm going to lose him..." I've had a couple nice bucks get away and I have learned not to give them any time, if I can help it. I believe more guys will be successful in the woods if their first thought is "I better shoot now or..."

I feel buck fever afterwards but I have never been so shaken I could not aim my rifle. Excited, yes.
10-4, I got you now. Without getting at least a little jacked up, deer hunting wouldn't seem worth the effort.

Buck fever is weird and fleeting thing. Ive put a fair amount of hours in a deer stand. I've sat stone cold while I let 8pts walk. I've also gotten the shakes so bad while watching does feed underneath me that I swore I was gonna get busted. I will even get it after the deer are gone sometimes. Trying to control your reaction is all part of the enjoyment to me.
Luckily, two of the benchmark deer of my "career" (first and biggest) were taken so fast after seeing them that I didn't have time to get the shakes. Jackhammered pretty good after taking them though. Lol

My heart rate jumps when I see nice antlers too. I start shaking after a shot. My brother is the same way. All I can think when I see a nice buck is "if I don't shoot I'm going to lose him..." I've had a couple nice bucks get away and I have learned not to give them any time, if I can help it. I believe more guys will be successful in the woods if their first thought is "I better shoot now or..."
Yes. Especially the bigger ones, will get by you pretty fast. I always heard, "they don't get big by being stupid". Thank goodness for grunt calls and the rut.

Since so many spec'd <1MOA requirement on their hunting rifle, I wonder how many can realize it firing off hand, or slinged up, or leaning against the tree.
Hell no.
When I was young I could hold pretty strong, but the years of diabetes has messed up my nerves.
Funny thing is I can balance a motorcycle in any circumstance. Weird.

Back
Top Bottom