• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How many of your can hold 1 MOA from your typical shooting position while hunting?

Since so many spec'd <1MOA requirement on their hunting rifle, I wonder how many can realize it firing off hand, or slinged up, or leaning against the tree.
Probably next to none but that's why it's nice to have an accurate rifle to begin with. If the best you can hold is 2 to 3 MOA from a non supported position and you have a 2-3 MOA rifle to begin with then you may or may not hit the pie plate.

Shooting in competitions we shoot in all kind of messed up positions and its under time. It's built a lot of confidence for taking shots on deer. I still wait for clean shots on them but I haven't let a moving coyote through the field in a while.

Most of the time I use my pack as a shooting bag. If I can use a tree or stick, I'll be good to go. But if we gonna measures peckers we gotta do it quick, I'm about to lose use of my left arm for a while.

Last edited:
What's wrong with having an accurate rifle as your hunting rifle? My SPS Tactical AAC is very accurate and great for hunting or long range. If I do my job it'll do its job.

From a typical hunting shooting situation? Not a chance. That's why the rifle should be as accurate as possible. With that said, if I am anticipating a long shot I prepare for the shot. One of the places I'll be hunting this year gives me opportunities of up to about 500 yards in a narrow field that the deer cross and feed in. I'm setting up a blind with a portable benchrest in it at one end. Bipod and a bag. That's the same way I shoot for accuracy at the range.

I also very seldom take an off hand shot while hunting. Even when I get a chance when I'm moving through the woods, I'll step the nearest tree to brace unless it's a very close shot.

From a typical hunting shooting situation? Not a chance. That's why the rifle should be as accurate as possible. With that said, if I am anticipating a long shot I prepare for the shot. One of the places I'll be hunting this year gives me opportunities of up to about 500 yards in a narrow field that the deer cross and feed in. I'm setting up a blind with a portable benchrest in it at one end. Bipod and a bag. That's the same way I shoot for accuracy at the range.

I also very seldom take an off hand shot while hunting. Even when I get a chance when I'm moving through the woods, I'll step the nearest tree to brace unless it's a very close shot.

Heck bear, my best shots have been off hand impulse shots. I honestly can't remember missing one that way. If you don't have time to think about messing up, you usually don't.

Reactions: MRH
Heck bear, my best shots have been off hand impulse shots. I honestly can't remember missing one that way. If you don't have time to think about messing up, you usually don't.

I'm much more deliberate than that normally. Don't get me wrong, that rest I'm looking for is usually only a step or two away and I'm moving to it as I bring the rifle up. I've had my "wow" shots, like dropping a running deer at 187 yards with open sights, but as I get older I get more careful. Though I will still try a quick one depending on the situation.

Well over 95% of all deer I have ever shot were shot with my elbow resting on my thigh, or the outside of my forearm resting on my knee. I never shoot with the elbow bone resting on the knee cap. Bone on bone isn't solid. I have made 10 yard shots and 200 yard shots using this technique. I hunt sitting on the ground more often than not, and if I'm walking and there is no tree to brace against, I take a knee and use this technique.

I have shot several deer free handed, up to 80-100 yards. I don't recommend it for everyone but some guys can shoot fairly well free handed.

I can honestly say that of all the deer I've taken (no idea how many, but well over 100) less than 1% were shot using a rest or a rail.

Not even close.
Leaning against a tree or other solid rest I'm very confident and with a sub MOA rifle I'd be confident with TIME (which we seldom have during hunting) I could be within 2" of POA.
I've never taken and would never take a free hand shot at a deer. Heck I won't even shoot at them if they are moving. If I can't stop them, they get to keep on keeping on. Perhaps if I'm starving one day I'll be a little less selective.

I've got a buddy in Mississippi that has a 50/50 chance of hitting a deer standing still, but if the deer is running, it will soon be on the back of his truck without it's innards.

He's crazy.

Back
Top Bottom