• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How much does your AR-15 and AR-10 weigh.

I’m not talking about racing engines. I’m talking about 7075-T6 aluminum AR receivers. Different materials react differently to forging, in regards to increases in strength.

I never quantified the “amount” of strength. I merely stated that a billet 7075-T6 aluminum AR receiver is weaker than a forged 7075-T6 aluminum AR receiver, when they are both made to the same dimensions. This is a fact. I also stated that a billet 7075-T6 aluminum AR receiver is heavier than a forged 7075-T6 aluminum AR receiver, when machined in such a way as to be as strong.

So, billet receivers are weaker, or heavier n’ thicker.

The point of my statements was about the weight, not the strength, because you started a thread about weight.

You stated, “I used a Billet chassis for weight savings and it was an ATX Armory piece that had cuts for weight savings.” I was pointing out that if weight savings were your goal, a skeletonized forged receiver set would weigh less than a similarly skeletonized billet receiver set.
I chose that particular chassis because of it 40 degree supports and cuts in the receivers to reduce weight. So it is thicker in places but still has lightning cuts that reduce the overall weight vs. a conventional billet set. As usual you are correct in all fronts. I should have stated " I chose that billet chassis over other billet pieces because of it design for weight savings. ". Also typically billet receivers are only marginally lighter that forged sets. I think the difference is maybe a ounce our two at the most..

I chose that particular chassis because of it 40 degree supports and cuts in the receivers to reduce weight. So it is thicker in places but still has lightning cuts that reduce the overall weight vs. a conventional billet set. As usual you are correct in all fronts. I should have stated " I chose that billet chassis over other billet pieces because of it design for weight savings. ". Also typically billet receivers are only marginally lighter that forged sets. I think the difference is maybe a ounce our two at the most..

i am old so with zero knowledge i knew the carbon wrapped barrel would help!

i am old so with zero knowledge i knew the carbon wrapped barrel would help!
Yeah I would have but the cost on those are ridiculous. The V7 titanium parts were high enough. The Wilson Combat barrel is a great barrel. With my reloads ( 110 gr. projectile with 28-30 gr. of IMR 8208 XBR it easily holds 1/2 MOA groups if I am on that day. I am not one to balk at price but Proof Research barrels are out of sight expensive. I figure 7 lbs. form a gun with an 18 inch barrel of that diameter is pretty dang good. It's a tapered barrel and it's the diameter of a H-Bar barrel at the muzzle. It is fluted but I really don't think that saves a ton of weight. Maybe 4-6 ounces on average I would imagine and that would vary depending on overall length and diameter. I choose billet receivers due to the fact that this rifle was was always destined to be a light use range gun or maybe a hunting rig. My SHTF gun has forged receivers, Cold Hammer Forged barrel with popular and proven internals.

Yeah I would have but the cost on those are ridiculous. The V7 titanium parts were high enough. The Wilson Combat barrel is a great barrel. With my reloads ( 110 gr. projectile with 28-30 gr. of IMR 8208 XBR it easily holds 1/2 MOA groups if I am on that day. I am not one to balk at price but Proof Research barrels are out of sight expensive. I figure 7 lbs. form a gun with an 18 inch barrel of that diameter is pretty dang good. It's a tapered barrel and it's the diameter of a H-Bar barrel at the muzzle. It is fluted but I really don't think that saves a ton of weight. Maybe 4-6 ounces on average I would imagine and that would vary depending on overall length and diameter. I choose billet receivers due to the fact that this rifle was was always destined to be a light use range gun or maybe a hunting rig. My SHTF gun has forged receivers, Cold Hammer Forged barrel with popular and proven internals.

20”

I’m not talking about racing engines. I’m talking about 7075-T6 aluminum AR receivers. Different materials react differently to forging, in regards to increases in strength.

I never quantified the “amount” of strength. I merely stated that a billet 7075-T6 aluminum AR receiver is weaker than a forged 7075-T6 aluminum AR receiver, when they are both made to the same dimensions. This is a fact. I also stated that a billet 7075-T6 aluminum AR receiver is heavier than a forged 7075-T6 aluminum AR receiver, when machined in such a way as to be as strong.

So, billet receivers are weaker, or heavier n’ thicker.

The point of my statements was about the weight, not the strength, because you started a thread about weight.

You stated, “I used a Billet chassis for weight savings and it was an ATX Armory piece that had cuts for weight savings.” I was pointing out that if weight savings were your goal, a skeletonized forged receiver set would weigh less than a similarly skeletonized billet receiver set.
This is true. For some reason, there are a lot of people that think billet receivers are pound for pound stronger than forged.

IMG_5544.JPG

Back
Top Bottom