• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How much is "really low miles" worth?

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
My buddy just got a small parking lot dent on his front bumper.
On his 1995 Honda Accord. One owner, well-maintained vehicle.
But because this small low-speed accident caused his airbags to blow (both sides), and the passenger airbag in the dashboard cracked the windshield right above it, the insurance company is calling this a total loss.

Here's the catch: The car has only 85,000 miles. This was his mom's car for many years, and she hardly ever drove it, letting her husband and adult kids take here nearly every place she needed to go, using their own cars. It was under a carport 75% of its life and the interior is like new. No sun fading, no stains, or rips.

So, is it worth trying to sell this car whole , or part out the engine and transmission, rather than let the insurance company pay the "book value" on it (probably less than $1000) and total it?

What's a good 23 year old Honda with only 85K miles worth, anyway?

Airbags, windshield, and (because of age) a new timing belt and associated service, Kahrnut pretty much nailed it in current condition.

Will have a salvage title? If so, just part it out.

Well maybe he won't replace the airbags.
What if sells the car to somebody who wants a reliable daily driver on the cheap, but doesn't expect airbags and doesn't care about that feature? Plenty of people my age owned several cars before airbags were developed and put into regular production.

The real question is, when most cars that are 20+ years old have 150,000 to 300,000+ miles on them, how much more is it worth when a particular car only has 85,000 miles and has never been parked for an extended period (meaning, it always got used at least once a week or every 10 days).

This is exactly the kind of car I look for and will pay a relative premium for. Problem is unless I know somebody in the transaction I wouldn’t believe your story. I think if he can find a friend or friend of a friend, he’ll do alright. When my daughter starts driving in a year I’ll be looking for this one. Of course I would need the airbags cause she’s my baby.

If I was in the market for a work vehicle, something which I would worry about parking lot dings, driving a daily commute 40 to 100 miles daily in order to save my primary vehicle this car would be perfect. If your looking for a value I'd say up to 1500$ would move it quickly.
So it would also be a candidate for a student for there first car, something mom and pop could buy cheaply for their child. Or college student.

Well maybe he won't replace the airbags.
What if sells the car to somebody who wants a reliable daily driver on the cheap, but doesn't expect airbags and doesn't care about that feature? Plenty of people my age owned several cars before airbags were developed and put into regular production.

The real question is, when most cars that are 20+ years old have 150,000 to 300,000+ miles on them, how much more is it worth when a particular car only has 85,000 miles and has never been parked for an extended period (meaning, it always got used at least once a week or every 10 days).
Can you legally operate a vehicle equipped with factory airbags that are inoperable? It's illegal to remove a catalytic converter from a vehicle factory equipped with one. Isn't it kind of the same thing?

Back
Top Bottom