• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How much is "really low miles" worth?

Can you legally operate a vehicle equipped with factory airbags that are inoperable? It's illegal to remove a catalytic converter from a vehicle factory equipped with one. Isn't it kind of the same thing?

Not sure how they know on a salvage title. My truck is a salvage title and I had to go for a safety inspection to get a tag. He checked signals, headlights, seatbelts and looked around and under it for issues. He doesn’t know if the airbags work and I don’t know how he would. I suspect the rednecks I bought it from did not reinstall them and don’t care.

Not sure how they know on a salvage title. My truck is a salvage title and I had to go for a safety inspection to get a tag. He checked signals, headlights, seatbelts and looked around and under it for issues. He doesn’t know if the airbags work and I don’t know how he would. I suspect the rednecks I bought it from did not reinstall them and don’t care.
But is it legal? Your example is kind of like someone carrying concealed in GA without a permit. I can do it, and if I don't get caught, fine. If I do, it's not so fine.

If it has a clear title you will be ok. If it has a salvage title it is a pain and is worth more in parts. The airbags are your decision if you don't want to replace them. You can buy a salvage kit off eBay pretty reasonable. It will always cost more than you think it will.

But is it legal? Your example is kind of like someone carrying concealed in GA without a permit. I can do it, and if I don't get caught, fine. If I do, it's not so fine.

Good question. I am assuming that since the dot certified inspector did not ask for documentation showing they were reinstalled that it doesn’t matter. Of course we know what assumption does...

In Georgia it's DEFINITELY illegal to rebuild a steering wheel or dashboard and cover-up the space where the airbag used to be without putting a real, working-to-federal-standards airbag in there, correctly hooked up.

So my buddy would have to cut out the used airbag cloth and just leave the hole, or fill the hole with something that doesn't look like the original parts, so that nobody would could reasonably think an airbag was under there.

See O.C.G.A. 16-9-111 (unlawful to replace airbag with anything other than a real airbag, unlawful to even sell fake airbags to fill that gap.)

See O.C.G.A. 51-1-47 Not a tort, not a negligent action you could be sued for, if you disconnect the airbag on your own car or have a mechanic do it for you at your request.

I would assume that if the claim is submitted to the insurance company and the car is declared a total loss, my buddy or anybody else who buys it with a salvage title would have to get the airbags replaced to make it street legal again. That's O.E.M. safety equipment and a standard feature for that make and model.

But, what I'm suggesting is what if my buddy doesn't ask the insurance company to pay any claim?
The car gets SOLD to some other private individual, as-is, and then my buddy just cancels the insurance policy on it. Or, my buddy keeps it and "fixes it" without ever submitting an insurance claim and asking for a check from the insurer.

Must the insurance company total it, and pay you, over your objection, EVEN IF you just want them to butt out and leave you alone to take care of the car yourself at your own expense?

I would assume that if the claim is submitted to the insurance company and the car is declared a total loss, my buddy or anybody else who buys it with a salvage title would have to get the airbags replaced to make it street legal again. That's O.E.M. safety equipment and a standard feature for that make and model.

But, what I'm suggesting is what if my buddy doesn't ask the insurance company to pay any claim?
The car gets SOLD to some other private individual, as-is, and then my buddy just cancels the insurance policy on it. Or, my buddy keeps it and "fixes it" without ever submitting an insurance claim and asking for a check from the insurer.

Must the insurance company total it, and pay you, over your objection, EVEN IF you just want them to butt out and leave you alone to take care of the car yourself at your own expense?

The ins. co. won't pay until until he files a proof of loss, even if they have knowledge of the accident. People all the time don't file collision claims because of their deductible and they don't want it on their record. Your case is the same principal, only a matter of degree.

He should negotiate with the co. on the salvage, and buy it back. The person it is worth the most to is him.

Back
Top Bottom