• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How much trouble could it be to mail something that fits in a flat rate box?

They give you tape? Last time I stepped foot in the post office to mail something I had boxed, I asked for tape and the guy told me to go grab a roll off the shelf to buy and use; they don't give tape away! That was years ago - I mail everything from work now.
only give you the overnite tape.put that on YOUR own box and it ships overnite too.

So, a small flat rate box is about 8" x 6" x 1.5 inches.
It therefore has a volume of about 72 cubic inches.
That's the right size and shape to hold a couple of rectangular steel shooting targets.

If you put two or three of those steel plates to perfectly fill that USPS flat rate box, how much would that weigh?

Steel is generally regarded as having a density of about O.3 pounds per cubic inch.

So that would be over 21 pounds of steel, shipped for a flat rate of six bux.

That's a steel of a deal! ;)

USPS would probably draw the line on that much weight. :twitch:

I've sold guns to buyers in California. You can use the online resources to see what is legal and what is not, which CALDOJ approved receiving FFLs are current, contact them if you have a question. I've never understood the folks that cut out 30+ million customers just because they live in a communist paradise.
Of course you can do more research online. I wasn't suggesting otherwise, or that you couldn't ship to CA. That was why I mentioned ERRING on the side of caution.

Of course you can do more research online. I wasn't suggesting otherwise, or that you couldn't ship to CA. That was why I mentioned ERRING on the side of caution.
Whoa....panties bunched much? I was trying to be helpful and agreeing with you. Dang dude, get a cuppa and settle down.

So, a small flat rate box is about 8" x 6" x 1.5 inches.
It therefore has a volume of about 72 cubic inches.
That's the right size and shape to hold a couple of rectangular steel shooting targets.

If you put two or three of those steel plates to perfectly fill that USPS flat rate box, how much would that weigh?

Steel is generally regarded as having a density of about O.3 pounds per cubic inch.

So that would be over 21 pounds of steel, shipped for a flat rate of six bux.

That's a steel of a deal! ;)

I see what you did there.

I use to ship a lot a lead bullets. I reinforced the inside joints with duct tape, and put the bullets in plastic sandwich bags to keep them from rolling around, but I'm sure that I got 30 - 35 lbs. in some of the boxes. Didn't matter if I was shipping it to Macon or Anchorage - same money. Never had one split open.

A lot of guys on Fleabay ship lead ingots with flat rate. They actually build a wood box inside the USPS box and ship away. I don't want to think what that costs shipping by the pound.

I think you can ship up to 75 lbs? At least you could in the past. I use reinforced fiberglass tape on the boxes and usually box within a box, padded with cut cardboard to withstand dropping.

Back
Top Bottom