• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How much would it cost to swap the drivetrain from a 7.3L into a V10 excursion? Rust, damn rust

Nate

Default rank 5000+ posts
GET TO DA CHOPPA!
286   0
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Well I am torn about what to do with my dream truck. I bought a 2002 Ford Excursion 4x4 with the 7.3 liter powerstroke. It has 200k but it runs perfect!

The only problem is that the body has some bad rust in the running board area. The mechanicals have some light trust but nothing that is a problem. The wheel wells actually seem fine. The main problem is bottom of the body where the underbody and the side body come together (pics to be posted tonight).

I really love this old 7.3L and buying a new truck isn't an option for me. I hate the new diesels and the environmental nonsense that goes into it. Besides,I'm not gonna pay $40K for a used truck that I don't think will be as reliable as this 7.3

My thinking is I have three options
1) Sell the X and get what I can back out of it (I didn't pay too much thankfully)
2) sand blast it and spray the heck out of it with undercoating then drive it until the body rots and sell the drive-train
3) sand blast it and spray the heck out of it with undercoating then drive it until the body rots and buy clean gasser with a blown motor and swap the drivetrain from mine into it

What would you do?

And how much would it cost (roughyl) to swap the drivetrain into another excursion? Would the donor body also need to be from a diesel? or could I get one of the easy to find v10 trucks and just keep my instrument cluster, fuel system, drivetrain?

Thanks

I don't know much about cars, but you paid $X for the truck already, and might be looking at $4500 for the donor vehicle and a body swap and you're still left with a 15 year old vehicle with a 200k mile engine.
Yea but I'd still be in it less than 1/3 of the cost of a newer diesel with 100k. And I have more faith in this 7.3 than any newer diesel. Besides, I don't mind old stuff

Back
Top Bottom