• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to? Rattling bucks in

3   0
Reaction score
So this may have already been discussed, but I thought I would try for a new thread.

I have a neighbor to my hunting land that according to some of his relatives, houses some very large bucks. Large meaning lots and lots of 130's-140's and as big as up to 170's. He has many food plots, corn feeders, and mineral licks that keep alot of the does on his property, therefore keeping the big boys over there. Weve never seen anything on cam over about 140, and that was once. 7 years ago.

Anyhow, I have talked to a few people during my hunting career that firmly believe in rattling bucks in. Some so confident, they tell me they could take me to the woods right now and bring them in. I havent gotten any tips from them because these are people that i couldnt get a word in edge ways when they are talking, and i dont talk to them that much.

Soooooooo....who can give me some pointers? This obviously works better than what i know how to do. Should i do it from the tree? On the ground? Whats the best times of day to rattle? Whats the best time of year? I have heard right now thru rut is the best time. Do you grunt when doing it? Multiple grunt calls? Or just one? How long should i rattle for, then how long of a break before i start again? How long before I give up? Do you use any scent when doing it? I can throw this in there, i hunt about 500 yrds from one of his feeders. I have seen in the evening, 2 130 class bucks heading to that feeder. I cant get between them and the feeder cause its not on my land. But i hope to draw them in with some rattling.

Hopefully this will start a good discussion and help me and some others out with this. I hope to get some good feedback from some folks who have proven that this works as well as some say it does.

rattle during rut. rattling before rut usually just brings in the small bucks. Practice soft rattling pre rut and bring in some small bucks then during the rut slam them and try for the big bucks.

- - - Updated - - -

scents and grunts can be used as well

I'm from south Alabama and rattling does not work well there at all. The bad doe to buck ratio I guess. However, I learned in the late 80's that grunting did work during full rut. It's not logical that one works and not the other but that is what I have experienced. I tried using the same grunt strategies that I have used for years a couple years ago in Georgia and it also worked even post rut. I recommend being elevated and understand that once you make those calls if a buck comes in he is going to be pinpointed on your location. Its amazing, so be ready to be still with no scent or you'll get busted before you get a chance to scope him. Good luck.

rattle during rut. rattling before rut usually just brings in the small bucks. Practice soft rattling pre rut and bring in some small bucks then during the rut slam them and try for the big bucks.

- - - Updated - - -

scents and grunts can be used as well

Haha, this guy must be a damn scientist!!!!!

Thanks Russell0331, but i am not a scientist i have just spent long hours in deer stands drinking beer, google searching (deer tactics) and experimenting with them and those are my results.

Interesting strategy.... I wouldn't mind hearing about some of hunts. In fact, you seem so knowledgeable on the subject I think I'll call you "Hunter."

Thanks Russell0331, but i am not a scientist i have just spent long hours in deer stands drinking beer, google searching (deer tactics) and experimenting with them and those are my results.

I hope that you don't have a rifle with you in that deer stand while you are drinking that beer!! Alcohol and gun powder DO NOT MIX!!! :nono::nono::nono:

Back
Top Bottom