• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to? Rattling bucks in

Rattling now in a soft, short duration effort will sound like young bucks sparing. If you are on the ground stamp your feet in the leaves and dirt to sound like the real scuffle while rattling. Practice with this will attract the big boys during the rut.

My personal experience,It depends on deer population,doe to buck ratio,age of deer,hunting pressure. Hunting in georgia is not like most places,our deer get extreme hunting pressure, unlike what you see on tv. You must have 3000 acres or more that sees little hunting pressure to really have a "trophy managed" property with large mature bucks. This is just my experience in georgia . Now the suburbs around atlanta is where there are state record deer running around because there is little or no hunting pressure. Rattling seems to bring in young bucks and make the large bucks run for the hills on most heavily hunted areas. Again,just my humble opinion and not a scientific study.

I've never gotten to work here. I don't think it's as practical a practice in Georgia as some other places. At least that is my excuse. Doesn't keep me from bringing the bag with me every hunt.
Several years ago I was hunting and from my stand could watch the neighbor's pasture. At the time he had not given me persmission to hunt it (he doesn't hunt, but has since told me to fire away!). It was heavy rut and there were a few bucks running does. There were over a dozen deer milling around in his pasture and suddenly they all stopped and looked in the same direction. An aboslutely HORSE stepped into the pasture. It was only an 8 pointer but I'm telling you, if there was ever a 180 inch 8 pointer THAT dude was it. His body was half again the size of the other bucks in the pasture. A true freak. In any case, I hit the grunt the tube, the can, everything I could think of and got ZERO response from any of the deer. I took out the rattle bag and hit it modestly at first. No response. I then really racked it good. The deer all looked my direction (completely out of view in an elevated blind in the trees) and then all slowly walked the OTHER way, including the freak. :grey:

I have not had an luck rattling deer. In fact I have scared them off when doing so lol. As already mentioned by other members you need a good buck to doe ratio. Everything I have read says you need this for it to be truly effective.

But you never know all deer are differ et in given areas. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom