• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunker down or come together?

Have you read the "Turner Diaries?" Will it be like that you think?

I think some parts - the chaos etc perhaps but the rest of TD is krap. Read "Patriots" by James Wesley Rawles and "Lights Out". Google it, you'll find links. They are good primers, but not the gospel. Each area will have it's own unique krap happening. So each geographic area is situation dependant.

I gotta agree with 83rdrecon. Each area will probably be dealing with a different scenario (at least to an extent). I think by knowing your area and the people around you it will be easier to organize into groups of like-minded individuals.

Boy I hate to be the first to say hunker down, but I almost feel that it may be the best way. UNLESS your core group would be family. Outsiders be it neighbors or friends I cant help but to think there will be a struggle for power or leadership. From there it is going to get ugly. Hunker down I am including my household (myself, wife, and adult son.) It is only three but we each know who is in control and there will be no power struggles.Ok go ahead and tell me how wrong I am.......

Boy I hate to be the first to say hunker down, but I almost feel that it may be the best way. UNLESS your core group would be family. Outsiders be it neighbors or friends I cant help but to think there will be a struggle for power or leadership. From there it is going to get ugly. Hunker down I am including my household (myself, wife, and adult son.) It is only three but we each know who is in control and there will be no power struggles.Ok go ahead and tell me how wrong I am.......
So long as you keep an open mind and an open line of communications with others especially if you know they may have more experiance in a certain area you would get by fine. Same goes for others towards you. The biggest thing is knowing who you're working with and what they will do without having to ask "hey, what the hell should we do" or "WTH are you doing?".
No, its not perfect, and you are right in the fact that the family will always be your nucleous or core. Anyone that would expect you to put them before your family would be insane. On the same train of thought, they'll be doing exactly the same thing.... So we're back to good open communications being one of the critical issues to surviving.

I really think it will be along racial lines,people want to be with folks like them and you can pretty much throw harmony and love out the window when SHTF.As a country we are racilly divided whether peolple want to admit it or not.

MDOG, I don't think people in small towns will let you come from a large city and start trying to take over. People in small towns will hunker down and pull together since families go back for years and years and have pretty much lived this way since these towns were established.

I really think it will be along racial lines,people want to be with folks like them and you can pretty much throw harmony and love out the window when SHTF.As a country we are racilly divided whether peolple want to admit it or not.

If you make it about race then it will be about race. Personally I will take the christian path and abide by the golden rule. To judge someone immediately upon their skin color is backwards and ignorant. No offense meant, but my time in Iraq my six was covered by men and women of every race and color. There are a lot of really great people out there and the best thing you can do is get to know them BEFORE the shtf. After is no time for you or anyone else to start wanting to make friends. Too risky.
I personally will make it about trash, brigands, bandits, thieves and marauders. Those that prey upon others will be dispatched accordingly. I am willing to meet with others who are of the same mindset as I am. If this does not ring true to you then no problem. We can just agree to disagree and I bode you good luck and health in the not so distant TEOTWAWKI post-apocalyptic world.
God Bless!

Last edited:
MDOG, I don't think people in small towns will let you come from a large city and start trying to take over. People in small towns will hunker down and pull together since families go back for years and years and have pretty much lived this way since these towns were established.

This is very true. Community starts with local churches - that is where the seed of unity and honor should be sewn.

That's...well I don't really know what to say. Hopefully you and I aren't the same race because I would hate to be stuck with you til the end of the world.

Back to the question at hand, though, some really good points have been made so far. Someone on the previous page mentioned his knowledge of water treatment as his role and I think that is spot on. Find something you know, develop it into a skill you can apply with minimal resources, and find others that have skills you don't to form a group.

I think it comes down to figuring out your group and the roles each person will play before you start thinking about what each person has to contribute that is tangible. If my neighbor Bill has a huge gun collection and great big piles of ammo but can't shoot straight to save his life, I'd want to make sure he knows he isn't the designated marksman just because his bank account allows more purchases. And just because I watch House and ER every week doesn't mean I get to play Doctor when the SHTF (although I might if any ladies are willing ;) ).

But for me personally, my family is all out on the West Coast and I have just a few survival-minded friends here, all with their own families and responsibilities close at hand. My instincts tell me that when it comes down to it I should be ready to hunker down by my lonesome for quite some time. And I'm OK with that.

Last edited:
That's...well I don't really know what to say. Hopefully you and I aren't the same race because I would hate to be stuck with you til the end of the world.

Back to the question at hand, though, some really good points have been made so far. Someone on the previous page mentioned his knowledge of water treatment as his role and I think that is spot on. Find something you know, develop it into a skill you can apply with minimal resources, and find others that have skills you don't to form a group.

I think it comes down to figuring out your group and the roles each person will play before you start thinking about what each person has to contribute that is tangible. If my neighbor Bill has a huge gun collection and great big piles of ammo but can't shoot straight to save his life, I'd want to make sure he knows he isn't the designated marksman just because his bank account allows more purchases. And just because I watch House and ER every week doesn't mean I get to play Doctor when the SHTF (although I might if any ladies are willing ;) ).

But for me personally, my family is all out on the West Coast and I have just a few survival-minded friends here, all with their own families and responsibilities close at hand. My instincts tell me that when it comes down to it I should be ready to hunker down by my lonesome for quite some time. And I'm OK with that.

With the amount of good people here there should be no reason any of us have to go it alone. Perhaps a more selective group versus an all inclusive one I would agree...

Back
Top Bottom