• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunker down or come together?

I think life, even simplified by the removal of all the civilized BS we have today, requires more skills and labor than one person or even a few(2-3) people would be able to consistently meet over a very long haul. I think, if the situation becomes persistent then forming a small community to share labor and to a small extent, specialize would be almost manadatory. Even if you can hunt, fish and farm you can't do all three at once and defend yourself, family and stocks at the same time. Redundancy and specialization are needed to succeed over a long time.

As an adjunct to the original question: If you decided to coalesce into a group/community do you think it should be based on a democracy or more of a tribal society such as native American tribes. My leaning is for a tribal society with a disticnt chief and a council, with the right to depose the chief if, in the esteem of a super-majority he needs to be replaced. I think in a SHTF situation a democracy would be too weak and too slow to adapt, but when/if normacy returns they leadership would have to be ready to surrender it's sword so to speak.

^^^This^^^

I'm envisioning more of a roving band of raiders. We will start out with just a few and take on individual "hunker down" types. Instead of killing them, we will give them the choice of join or die horribly. After picking off a few individuals, our numbers will have increased sufficiently to take on bigger and bigger settlements.

Eventually, I'll command a large enough group that I'll declare myself a regional warlord, demanding tribute and offering protection to everyone who lives in my territory. I will be a firm, sometimes harsh ruler. But always fair and rewarding to my loyal followers. To cross me, however, means banishment to the wastelands outside of my realm.

Thats my rough plan, at least. I'm still working on some of the details. Always open to constructive feedback.

I'm envisioning more of a roving band of raiders. We will start out with just a few and take on individual "hunker down" types. Instead of killing them, we will give them the choice of join or die horribly. After picking off a few individuals, our numbers will have increased sufficiently to take on bigger and bigger settlements.

Eventually, I'll command a large enough group that I'll declare myself a regional warlord, demanding tribute and offering protection to everyone who lives in my territory. I will be a firm, sometimes harsh ruler. But always fair and rewarding to my loyal followers. To cross me, however, means banishment to the wastelands outside of my realm.

Thats my rough plan, at least. I'm still working on some of the details. Always open to constructive feedback.

till you get to my place and I turn your @$$ into a slave. Dont worry... I will make your job the easiest... just get my beer

I'm assuming you are being at least partially facetious. It's JUST such groups as you describe that will encourage the formation and defense of groups such as I describe. When some roving band of would-be feral hogs comes up on the blockade of a well dug in community they are going to crash like a wave on the rocks against the defenses and be repulsed. Now when this happens, a TRIBAL leadership will have the strength and will to completely eradicate the invaders, where a democracy will want to absorb and forgive and "rehabilitate" them. No, A successfull leadership for a viable community in this type of environment will completely annihilate the invaders and used their heads as warnings to the next band not to attempt it. Spiked heads along a generous perimiter act as a GREAT deterrence.

I'm assuming you are being at least partially facetious. It's JUST such groups as you describe that will encourage the formation and defense of groups such as I describe. When some roving band of would-be feral hogs comes up on the blockade of a well dug in community they are going to crash like a wave on the rocks against the defenses and be repulsed. Now when this happens, a TRIBAL leadership will have the strength and will to completely eradicate the invaders, where a democracy will want to absorb and forgive and "rehabilitate" them. No, A successfull leadership for a viable community in this type of environment will completely annihilate the invaders and used their heads as warnings to the next band not to attempt it. Spiked heads along a generous perimiter act as a GREAT deterrence.

oh yeah... well well well.. i will have a nuke then... so there...

I think you're making a lot of assumptions when you make such absolute predictions of victory. I am going to only allow the strongest individuals to joint my group. They will all be combat veterans. They will all have excellent arms and equipment. We will easily overpower any but the most prepared groups, and any that we choose to bypass will simply be saved for later once our strength increases.

Honestly, unless you have hunkered down in a missile silo or have managed to build a castle complete with moat and drawbridge, your best bet is to just give is what we want and hope we move on, merely adding your settlement to our controlled territory rather than razing it to the ground and enslaving your women.

but to participate in the thread and not be a complete troll...

I would hunker down until I could figure out what the hell was going on. This may be too late or it may be the right decision... only time will tell. Ultimately, I think I would have to eventually leave to scavange, hunt, etc for food, supplies.

So hunker down and then hopefully find a group to join up with...

This^^ bands of raiders get no mercy, just well placed .223 rounds

Just walk away...

[Broken External Image]:

Back
Top Bottom