• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunker down or come together?

I think some parts - the chaos etc perhaps but the rest of TD is krap. Read "Patriots" by James Wesley Rawles and "Lights Out". Google it, you'll find links. They are good primers, but not the gospel. Each area will have it's own unique krap happening. So each geographic area is situation dependant.

Lights Out was a good read.

Hunker down with my family to begin with. By family I mean my father, mother, my two uncles and their families, and a good neighbor. We all live on the same road and are like-minded. However, I have a few friends spread across the state that I truly trust and would welcome, as I'm sure they'd welcome me if I needed to leave.

As far as books go, I'd recommend "One Second After" by William Forstchen. Highly entertaining, thoughtful, provocative of thought, and chilling...

I think life, even simplified by the removal of all the civilized BS we have today, requires more skills and labor than one person or even a few(2-3) people would be able to consistently meet over a very long haul. I think, if the situation becomes persistent then forming a small community to share labor and to a small extent, specialize would be almost manadatory. Even if you can hunt, fish and farm you can't do all three at once and defend yourself, family and stocks at the same time. Redundancy and specialization are needed to succeed over a long time.

As an adjunct to the original question: If you decided to coalesce into a group/community do you think it should be based on a democracy or more of a tribal society such as native American tribes. My leaning is for a tribal society with a disticnt chief and a council, with the right to depose the chief if, in the esteem of a super-majority he needs to be replaced. I think in a SHTF situation a democracy would be too weak and too slow to adapt, but when/if normacy returns they leadership would have to be ready to surrender it's sword so to speak.

My plan is to hunker down where i am...i live on an acre on a small spring-fed lake so water and space for garden is good.the lot next to mine is another acre and is not buildable but would be room for people to set up shelters.it would be really good to link up with some people now who would bug out to my location if tshtf.bring lots of food and seeds and means of defense and hopefully some other skill (emt,paramedic,doctor,dentist,veterinarian,blacksmith,mechanic,etc).aside from the people who live out here nobody comes here but the mailman,ups and fedex which would all be gone if tshtf.just thoughts and i have back up plans for places to go if this becomes untenable.

I took a road trip through central GA this past weekend and it made me realize how much its going to suck in the city if TSHTF. So many people and most of them helpless, would make for a desperate bunch for sure.

Back
Top Bottom