• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunker down or come together?

I'm not talking about rolling in and taking over someones home. I'm talking about pooling with the local holdouts in a small, rural area and combining talents to make a going community.

I live in a fairly small town and work in an even smaller one. Right up the road is another small town. I live on a lake with hydro-electric and at least 3 small water plants. It seems like it would make more sense building a community in a small town setting than out in the woods, running bucket water-filters and cooking solely on wood fires. The reason I started this is to find out if I'm wrong and maybe it WOULD make more sense to stake out a spit of land well off the beaten trail on a finger of the lake and set up tent city till more permanent shelter could be made. I can envision using a small peninsula of the lake for base with boats to evac and stashed vehicles across the lake to complete the bugout if need be. Conversely, if aggressed by water, the landward side would also include evac supplies/vehicles. I guess a town, even a fairly secluded one would be on maps but would that outweigh the advantages of a pre-existing infrastructure?

I'm looking to garner ideas and maybe have a sit down with a group to discuss the options. I think it would be great if those of us here could look at the possibilities. I know, personally, I would rather think of this group as the nucleus of a community than blind meets with whoever strolls down the lane.

But for me personally, my family is all out on the West Coast and I have just a few survival-minded friends here, all with their own families and responsibilities close at hand. My instincts tell me that when it comes down to it I should be ready to hunker down by my lonesome for quite some time. And I'm OK with that.

When I hear go it alone I think of a family going it alone against many other families or groups. If you are truly by your lonesome, I think it would be very feasable to go it alone. There are necessities of course, but most of your personal needs could easily be met by trading and bartering without anyone else knowing about the supplies you have. Don't misunderstand. I still think a planned group is the best way to go but I definately believe a single individual could survive quite well without the worries of providing for others.

JS good luck in all your endeavors,may God Bless and watch over you,we will all be in a mess if it does happen.You don't know me at all,I started surviving 40 years ago and every day is a school day,you can learn something new each day.Carry on.

GREAT THREAD.....so far. I have enjoyed reading everyones ideas. I really hope I do not live to see this thing happen. If I do I think it will be me my wife and my son, taking to the woods and praying for the best. I do think we would end up hooking up with some like minded folks but I still worry over a power struggle within a group. My we ALL pray we will not see this in our life time!!!

GREAT THREAD.....so far. I have enjoyed reading everyones ideas. I really hope I do not live to see this thing happen. If I do I think it will be me my wife and my son, taking to the woods and praying for the best. I do think we would end up hooking up with some like minded folks but I still worry over a power struggle within a group. My we ALL pray we will not see this in our life time!!!

That is why you plan and meet people now. Don't wait until it happens, by then it's too late.

Sad fact is most of the people that Il ive close to I would not want to be secluded with. I do have like minded friends but depending on what SHF happens depends on whether or not they can make it to where they need to be.

Sad fact is most of the people that Il ive close to I would not want to be secluded with. I do have like minded friends but depending on what SHF happens depends on whether or not they can make it to where they need to be.

Hey bud if you can make the trip to Thomas Co. you'll be welcome in our compound......just bring guns and plenty of ammo...lol!

That is the sillyest thing I've read yet on this board. How in hades are you going to meet someone AFTER shtf if you don't KNOW them before??? How do you find a "Compound" in Thomas county if you have no directions without getting killed in the process.... Comm SOP? Comm at all? Sorry but very silly. Needs way more planning NOW.

Back
Top Bottom