• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hunting and fishing during SHTF scenario

buddy5954

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
26   0
Reaction score
Does anyone think that if supplies of food are shut off they'd be able to feed themselves and their families by just hunting and fishing? I've had friends talk about hunting and fishing being their primary food source during such a scenario, but I'm thinking the countryside is going to be stripped bare in a hurry. I know it depends a lot on where you live -- the friends I mentioned are suburbanites. I live in a subdivision that's pretty much out in the country.

I'm leaning towards stored food to survive for the short term while I build up as much agriculture as I can.

Bartering will be very important for sure. As for hunting, in the long term maybe but short term a lot of people will try it and will be lucky to get anything substantial i think. Rabbits or squirrel should be easy though. As for fishing, if SHTF I am off to the catfish fisheries ;)

In the first few months the population of people would drop quickly from disease and thirst/starvation, I'm with buddy5954 in that I would use snares, its a quiet kill and saves the ammo for protection, at the survival meet-up/bug out camping we did in early feb we went over simple snares for small&large game as well as fish snares, like a "yo-yo" made like a rabbit snare. This would supplement food storage. On the bright side- vegetarians die before the end of the first winter, lol. Wild edibles will help a lot. Scurvy (from lack of vitamin C) could be avoided with pine needle tea; which, has 10x the vC of OJ- just an example

In the first few months the population of people would drop quickly from disease and thirst/starvation, I'm with buddy5954 in that I would use snares, its a quiet kill and saves the ammo for protection, at the survival meet-up/bug out camping we did in early feb we went over simple snares for small&large game as well as fish snares, like a "yo-yo" made like a rabbit snare. This would supplement food storage. On the bright side- vegetarians die before the end of the first winter, lol. Wild edibles will help a lot. Scurvy (from lack of vitamin C) could be avoided with pine needle tea; which, has 10x the vC of OJ- just an example
Very good info!

I'm gonna find a couple good old fashioned leg traps along with my snare wire for just this reason.

I'm gonna find a couple good old fashioned leg traps along with my snare wire for just this reason.

Vanilla, my old friend - couldn't agree more and rat traps from HD are great too. I have a how to on YouTube (big surprise lol) on the basic strangle/neck snare for medium up to deer sized game. But goin for game that big u would have to be able smoke or make jerky so the meat doesn't spoil. Here's a link
http://youtu.be/ZsFb6rQGpkE

Back
Top Bottom