• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hunting rules changes coming....

Coyotes are the problem. Not Joe redneck blasting deer. I've watched fawn disappear over the last summer/fall. Could be a car or disease. More likely its the yotes I hear every night, they won't stick around if there's no food to eat.

I wish all doe days would be cut for one season.It`s hard to get a doe,even on WMAs,due to the past kill rate.I take 5 deer per year,that`s what we eat.Last several years,3-4 of these deer have been bucks.Some of these come from WMA check-in hunts,which are free tags.So far this year,I`ve killed 4 bucks,3 came from WMAs.I`ve only seen 2 does.and could not get a shot.I`ve let 6 bucks walk.There is a shortage of does.BTW,I hunt all over the state on private and public land.WRD should have the power to pass game laws,not the legislators,who,for the most part,don`t hunt or understand hunting.I prefer to take a doe rather than a small buck anytime.

I want to ask the following questions honestly. I've wondered this a lot and haven't seen an answer. If one of you guys knows an answer, I'd like honestly to know the reasoning. I do not care to debate, I just haven't heard an explanation.

Has anyone addressed the fact that we started baiting in the southern zone 2 years ago because the population was so high and now we're limiting days 2 years later? AND I think it was GON that published a couple years ago (when the baiting started) that the average hunter in GA kills 2 deer (not sure how they get that number a we don't turn in tags and nobody's ever surveyed me.) even with a 12 tag limit. Then I think it was GON that published last year that AFTER the baiting started, kills had gone down to 1.4 deer per hunter since guys were waiting on the big bucks and felt more confident sitting over corn and would let the smaller ones/does pass?

Seems to me that opening wma's for coyote/hog hunting in the off season would make sense. Not like the 1 weekend hog hunt I went to at Pine Log last year with 42,000 other guys. more of an open season through the spring/summer.

Seems to me that opening wma's for coyote/hog hunting in the off season would make sense. Not like the 1 weekend hog hunt I went to at Pine Log last year with 42,000 other guys. more of an open season through the spring/summer.

Sounds great but unfortunately we are dealing with government here........not much room for common sense.
I feel that hunting is slowly becoming another target for the government to punish in their zeal for all encompassing control over us.

Last edited:
Has the original link stopped working? I can't find anything.
Yes. It was the proposed changes for this year's season (which since they became regulations are no longer 'proposed' so the link was removed apparently). Main point of discussion was the drastic reduction of either sex days for deer.

Back
Top Bottom