• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hunting rules changes coming....

I want to ask the following questions honestly. I've wondered this a lot and haven't seen an answer. If one of you guys knows an answer, I'd like honestly to know the reasoning. I do not care to debate, I just haven't heard an explanation.

Has anyone addressed the fact that we started baiting in the southern zone 2 years ago because the population was so high and now we're limiting days 2 years later? AND I think it was GON that published a couple years ago (when the baiting started) that the average hunter in GA kills 2 deer (not sure how they get that number a we don't turn in tags and nobody's ever surveyed me.) even with a 12 tag limit. Then I think it was GON that published last year that AFTER the baiting started, kills had gone down to 1.4 deer per hunter since guys were waiting on the big bucks and felt more confident sitting over corn and would let the smaller ones/does pass?

Seems to me that opening wma's for coyote/hog hunting in the off season would make sense. Not like the 1 weekend hog hunt I went to at Pine Log last year with 42,000 other guys. more of an open season through the spring/summer.
I don't think a 'too high population' had ANYTHING to do with legalizing baiting in the southern zone....

What was it? I guess "too" high isn't correct. But abundant for sure. Wasn't that why we couldn't bait up here? Our population wasn't the booming deer numbers of the southern zone?

What was it? I guess "too" high isn't correct. But abundant for sure. Wasn't that why we couldn't bait up here? Our population wasn't the booming deer numbers of the southern zone?
I'm not about to kick over that ant hill again.. I'll just say the hunters in the south wanted to be able to shoot deer over corn and the hunters in the north thought it wasn't necessary or a good idea (or both). They each got their way. But it had NOTHING to do with 'population'.

Back
Top Bottom