• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting the line

Had a poacher sneaking in a creek bottom of ours to hunt. He would leave his climber at the base of the tree then cover it up with branches and leaves. Mr brother and I took one of our climbing stands and he got about 35-40 feet up above it and pulled both pieces up to him. He tossed a smaller rope up as high as he could, then sucked this dudes stand up above him even higher. Tied the little rope off and climbed down. That stand was hanging from a branch about the size of your wrist every bit of 50 feet off the ground.
A couple weeks later there was a note in my brothers mail box that said-WELL PLAYED. COULD YOU PLEASE GET MY STAND DOWN FOR ME AND I PROMISE TO NEVER HUNT ON YOUR PROPERTY AGAIN.
We never did take it down. Branch finally broke a few years later and that stand still lays there today. We call that area The Hang’em High Penthouse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Justice !

You can NOT tell which way he is going to hunt simply by the position of his stand when he's not in it. Quite often I will turn my climber in a way that it can't be seen from the direction I'm actually going to hunt. It's out of sight to the other hunters on the property and also does not leave a sight anomaly for whatever animals that might be cruising past when he's not in the stand, causing them to alter their patterns. Finding a climber at rest tells you nothing, other than the location of the stand relative to everything around it. As far as the "line" that you refer to; unless there is a deeded easement, there is no such thing as a no-man's-land in between properties. It's either on yours, or his. The "line" you speak of may be a logging road, but it is on one property or the other, wherever the logging company decided to put it.

If the stand is on your land, then there is a problem. If it's on his land (or the Club that he's a member of), it's really none of your business unless you come back and find him actually shooting an animal on your land.

My suggestion is this, find out who owns the stand and have a conversation with them. If they are "dick-ish" about it and the stand is on "his" property, you just need to suck it up and try to catch him in the act of actually hunting your property. If it's on your land, then take the stand down and surrender it to the Game Warden.

For every action there is a reaction, more so with humans then physics. In physics for every action there is a calculated reaction. With humans every dumb asses action, there is an even bigger dumb ass over reacting. I am not calling the OP a dumb ass, but some of you guys have no clue of how to handle land disputes with neighboring clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can NOT tell which way he is going to hunt simply by the position of his stand when he's not in it. Quite often I will turn my climber in a way that it can't be seen from the direction I'm actually going to hunt. It's out of sight to the other hunters on the property and also does not leave a sight anomaly for whatever animals that might be cruising past when he's not in the stand, causing them to alter their patterns. Finding a climber at rest tells you nothing, other than the location of the stand relative to everything around it. As far as the "line" that you refer to; unless there is a deeded easement, there is no such thing as a no-man's-land in between properties. It's either on yours, or his. The "line" you speak of may be a logging road, but it is on one property or the other, wherever the logging company decided to put it.

If the stand is on your land, then there is a problem. If it's on his land (or the Club that he's a member of), it's really none of your business unless you come back and find him actually shooting an animal on your land.

My suggestion is this, find out who owns the stand and have a conversation with them. If they are "dick-ish" about it and the stand is on "his" property, you just need to suck it up and try to catch him in the act of actually hunting your property. If it's on your land, then take the stand down and surrender it to the Game Warden.

Let us pretend that the stand is within 3’ of the property line (either side) and if thats the case if your stand is turned away from your land for any reason its turned onto mine. If its turned away from my land then your watching my land.

Is there not some reasonable standard that says don't sit on the line? BTW the tree that its in is 8’ onto my land.

The “line I speak of” is literally the surveyor marked line. its my understanding that surveyor stakes and a platt define “the line”.

For every action there is a reaction, more so with humans then physics. In physics for every action there is a calculated reaction. With humans every dumb asses action, there is an even bigger dumb ass over reacting. I am not calling the OP a dumb ass, but some of you guys have no clue of how to handle land disputes with neighboring clubs.

How would you handle ?

How would you handle ?

I would need to see the stand in person, but from the one picture you posted this is what I see. It looks to me like he has not climbed that tree reasons being: there is not much bark on the seat or ground, the tree doesn’t look skinned up, the seat of stand is not extended in they way one would need to climb it, it looks like it’s to tight around the tree to move the stand to get up and down, and that tree is leaning pretty good.

I think the stands owner set that stand with intentions of hunting it, and has yet to do so. If it were me I would nail a note in a ziplock bag to the tree with a copy of the plat asking him to remove the stand. I would also tell him if he thinks he is on his land that you would be more than happy to walk the lines, and show him the boundary. I would also mark the stand indiscreetly with a branch or something that looked like it may have fallen on it to see if it gets moved by a human. If the mark is moved. I’d remove the stand, take they stand to the club camp, and tell them you found this stand on your property, and wanted to return it. At that time I’d take another copy of the plat or an aerial photo showing where it was. Then if it continues to be an issue I’d get authorities involved. The club president has enough BS to deal with this is the last thing he wants to be involved with I promise.

I would need to see the stand in person, but from the one picture you posted this is what I see. It looks to me like he has not climbed that tree reasons being: there is not much bark on the seat or ground, the tree doesn’t look skinned up, the seat of stand is not extended in they way one would need to climb it, it looks like it’s to tight around the tree to move the stand to get up and down, and that tree is leaning pretty good.

I think the stands owner set that stand with intentions of hunting it, and has yet to do so. If it were me I would nail a note in a ziplock bag to the tree with a copy of the plat asking him to remove the stand. I would also tell him if he thinks he is on his land that you would be more than happy to walk the lines, and show him the boundary. I would also mark the stand indiscreetly with a branch or something that looked like it may have fallen on it to see if it gets moved by a human. If the mark is moved. I’d remove the stand, take they stand to the club camp, and tell them you found this stand on your property, and wanted to return it. At that time I’d take another copy of the plat or an aerial photo showing where it was. Then if it continues to be an issue I’d get authorities involved. The club president has enough BS to deal with this is the last thing he wants to be involved with I promise.

I mentioned initially that when I saw the stand I made a photo.
I sent to President of the club told him that I found the stand and that its on my property. I also said that I didn’t bother it as I wanted to give whomever it belongs to a chance to retrieve it. I also sent to a club member. It’s been two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom