• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hypothetical Handgun Transfer Question

I have called the ATF agents in Atlanta with unusual questions before. As long as an agent is not busy they will usually be happy to answer your questions,

I suspect the correct answer is, IF it takes place in another state, legally, it would require an FFL transfer.

If you and he are the only ones who know where the transfer actually took place, then it will be hard to prove otherwise. If you go this route, do not date the receipt for a time frame when he was in the other state.

I can't imagine why it would be an issue....to my (limited) knowledge BATFE has no stipulations on where items can be transferred only that they must take place between two legal residents of the same state to avoid having to use an FFL. It could happen on the moon as far as I'm concerned.

I'd say that as long as you're both residents of GA the imaginary line that separates states is irrelevant.

Honestly, there is obeying the law in a black and white fashion and obeying the spirit of the law. Sounds like you guys are in fact obeying the intended purpose of the law which is to only allow GA residents to lawfully trade with each other. That's what you're doing so go for it.

Back
Top Bottom