• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I’d like a way to easily remove an ad after a sale

then there's the wayback machine at internet archive...
Locks don’t stop people from breaking into your house, gun safes don’t keep your guns from being stolen, they slow people down and make things more challenging. Same concept. Why make the data collection easy, if someone wants to look up past ads, members and posts, they should have to work for it. I want them to burn resources and time. Additionally using sites like the way back machine do limit some of the information as there are often a lot of incomplete or missing info as well as numerous broken links. When I refer to “them”, I’m not referring to random members trying to price out what something is worth, (besides we already know most people list their used stuff for MSRP+ anyways), I’m referring to agencies and outside groups who don’t mind violating the constitution to push their political agenda. There have been instances of groups data collecting info on gun owners in other states. There are even sites publishing the home addresses of gun owners. The more this state turns blue, the more likely that kind of stuff will happen here. Also the IRS didn’t try to hire 87,000 new agents for nothing.

giphy.gif

Once you post it on the internet, it’s always on the internet.

If you don’t want folks to know you’re selling guns on the internet, just don’t sell guns on the internet.

You delete all your ads, forensic folks (like the kind they have working for the IRS) can easily pull all that stuff back up. You didn’t do much of anything.

I’m curious what do you know about coding?

Not a dang thing, but I know quite a few folks that do know a lot, and do that sort of thing for a living. When I don’t know enough about a subject, I find someone that is an expert, and I talk to them about it. This includes folks that I know in my LE capacity whose job it is to find computer stuff that other folks don’t want found.

Wait, how is a delete ad button a waste of time?

Deleting an ad doesn’t delete it in the way that many folks think. Folks that know what they are doing can still retrieve the information.

Folks want to sell items online, and then delete the ad so that no one can tell that they sold it. It doesn’t necessarily work that way.

I never said I was against the ability to easily delete a listing. I only stated why it’s a waste of time.

If the folks above me in the food chain decide to make it an ODT feature, I’ve got no problem with it. If I’m asked to vote on whether or not I think members should have that ability, I’m fine with making it a feature. I don’t like clutter, and it seems like it would make things visually neater. Other than that, I don’t think it will do anything for the site.

Not a dang thing, but I know quite a few folks that do know a lot, and do that sort of thing for a living. When I don’t know enough about a subject, I find someone that is an expert, and I talk to them about it. This includes folks that I know in my LE capacity whose job it is to find computer stuff that other folks don’t want found.
You are assuming the threat is only from Govt sources with specialized tools and not people using OSINT for their own personal or organizational agendas. Things like photos, geo data, location information. Maybe you should talk to your friends and ask them how risky it is leaving a wide open trail. I’m not saying you can totally cover yourself but you can harden your infosec, make people work to steal your info. Like physical theft, info theft is typically restricted to opportunist who see an easy target.

Back
Top Bottom