• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I’d like a way to easily remove an ad after a sale

You are assuming the threat is only from Govt sources with specialized tools and not people using OSINT for their own personal or organizational agendas. Things like photos, geo data, location information. Maybe you should talk to your friends and ask them how risky it is leaving a wide open trail. I’m not saying you can totally cover yourself but you can harden your infosec, make people work to steal your info. Like physical theft, info theft is typically restricted to opportunist who see an easy target.
They are your ads, go back and remove the parts you don’t want known to random searches. But it still doesn’t change the FACT that one on the internet it simply NEVER goes away. A record is left on every server that it ever passed through. Whether it was searched from Thailand or your hometown, probably hit a few hundred servers.

You are assuming the threat is only from Govt sources with specialized tools and not people using OSINT for their own personal or organizational agendas. Things like photos, geo data, location information. Maybe you should talk to your friends and ask them how risky it is leaving a wide open trail. I’m not saying you can totally cover yourself but you can harden your infosec. Like physical theft, info theft is typically restricted to opportunist who see an easy target.

No, I don’t assume that at all. I don’t need to ask my acquaintances about how risky “leaving a wide open trail” is, because I already know. Up until 19 months ago, I held a TS clearance for over 20 years. We were constantly trained, retrained, and updated on all forms of informational security.

I never stated that it’s only the .gov that can go looking for info. Most of the training that I received in OPSEC/INFOSEC was with the assumption that the “bad guys” were anything BUT governmental agencies. Folks outside of the government have access to all the same tools and tricks.

Other than that, I don’t disagree with anything you said.

Again, I’m not against having a “listings deletion” capability on this site. I just don’t want folks to think that it does more than it actually does.

I understand digital data and fingerprints. Have done forensics and cyber crime for over 20 years around the World. So my question wasn't about if an ad is really deleted or not, but why a delete feature that deleted it from the ODT active listing would be a waste of time? It would remove it from browsing here, leaving it only on spiders and the GON storage media.

ODT already has the ability to remove a listing from the “active listing”. If you hit the “Mark As Gone” button at the top left of your listing, it removes it from the active listing. The ad no longer shows up in searches, and it is removed from the forum it was listed in so it is no longer in view.

This exactly ^^^
IMG_3627.png

IMG_3628.png

If I run that plate through a Lexus nexis MVR search I wonder what info I’ll get.. Maybe the green jeep in the background.

To be clear, I’m not really going to but this took me all of 2 minutes to find. If someone wants to go deeper on you it isn’t hard. If your ad was actually deleted, this would have been a little tougher.

I'd personally love this option as well. I am in same boat It would take way to long to go back relist and edit old ads, but if the delete forever option was added I would use it every time.

View attachment 6594110
View attachment 6594111

If I run that plate through a Lexus nexis MVR search I wonder what info I’ll get.. Maybe the green jeep in the background.

To be clear, I’m not really going to but this took me all of 2 minutes to find. If someone wants to go deeper on you it isn’t hard. If your ad was actually deleted, this would have been a little tougher.

Folks wrongly post personal information here on ODT multiple times a day. The sorts of folks that post that type of information won’t know what to do with additional geegaws. We have at least once member that fell for the same scam twice in 30 days, possibly by the same scammer, because he was sharing his phone number here. After the first scam, we explained to him how to better protect himself, and how to properly conduct a safe deal in the future. A month later, he did the exact same thing.

You can’t protect folks from themselves.

Folks wrongly post personal information here on ODT multiple times a day. The sorts of folks that post that type of information won’t know what to do with additional geegaws. We have at least once member that fell for the same scam twice in 30 days, possibly by the same scammer, because he was sharing his phone number here. After the first scam, we explained to him how to better protect himself, and how to properly conduct a safe deal in the future. A month later, he did the exact same thing.

You can’t protect folks from themselves.
That one was funny. There's a new member just today posted his number in open forum.

I'm not concerned about that aspect of privacy --but I can see how others would be. I think it's reasonable for a buy-sell- trade website to have an easy way to eliminate all information about a transaction once it's completed.

( At least from the public view. Maybe administrators could keep this info available for some months later in case somebody complains about the transaction or says they were Gypped.)

Back
Top Bottom