• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I am baffled at sighting in my rifle

Maybe..? It really does not appear to be pointed down or up. Looks very level, but I need to confirm to be sure.

I have fired a lot of rifles, and plenty of AR's, so a 100-120 yard shot is something I can do in my sleep. I've never had a shot rise 8" at 100 yards. It has to be an issue with the scope mount, I'm thinking, but can't be sure.

Your shot is not rising. A bullet falls to earth continually once it leaves the muzzle.

Might be a stupid question; but do you have an after market muzzle brake on the gun? I have a LR308 that with a PWS brake on it will not group on a paper plate at 50 yards. Take the brake off and it shoots like it should.

Zerobulletpaths.jpg

Looks like everything is working pretty much like it should if you zero' d at 30 yds.

Nothing is wrong except you do not zero AR's at 30 yds. It should be at least inch to inch and a half low at that range. your sights are about 2" or more above your bore line. Zero it at 55yds and it will be a little high at 100 and zeroed at about 200.

At 30 yards I was simply trying to get on the paper.
Your shot is not rising. A bullet falls to earth continually once it leaves the muzzle.

No, I know it isn't rising. That's why I am baffled.

I will start at 100 yards tomorrow, get it dead on, and then move closer, instead of starting close and moving out. We'll see what that does.

Back
Top Bottom