• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I hate the shooting range on the weekends

:shocked: Free range? Oh my

Well, there is the $5 parking fee. And the drive is considerable as it's over an hour from me. In my jeep that's a half tank trip. So $25 or so and a few hours of my time. So, not free. But I can shoot my rifle from standing, sitting and prone at distances from 10- 100 yards. And the shooting lane is covered with a cement floor and has good benches if you like to shoot from a bench. Maybe I should have kept quiet. I'll show up next time and it will be full. Thought everyone knew about John's Mountain. John's Mountain is the park. I think the range is called Chestnut Ridge WMA Range. If you go do what I do and try your best to keep it clean and make sure others are being safe so we keep the privelage. I always try and leave it better than I found it.

Well, there is the $5 parking fee. And the drive is considerable as it's over an hour from me. In my jeep that's a half tank trip. So $25 or so and a few hours of my time. So, not free. But I can shoot my rifle from standing, sitting and prone at distances from 10- 100 yards. And the shooting lane is covered with a cement floor and has good benches if you like to shoot from a bench. Maybe I should have kept quiet. I'll show up next time and it will be full. Thought everyone knew about John's Mountain. John's Mountain is the park. I think the range is called Chestnut Ridge WMA Range. If you go do what I do and try your best to keep it clean and make sure others are being safe so we keep the privelage. I always try and leave it better than I found it.
That's the range a shooter went open fire on a cold range. That when I started shopping or Membership ranges. I am a member at River Bend Gun Club. I still don't go on weekends. I am fortunate to be able to go through the week when I want to shoot. I have the place to myself at the time I get up there. I am usually in and out by 2 o'clock. About the only guys I run into are the old men shooting bench rest rimfire. I mean the hard core rimfire shooters. They usually stay on the opposite side of the big bore boys.

That's the range a shooter went open fire on a cold range. That when I started shopping or Membership ranges. I am a member at River Bend Gun Club. I still don't go on weekends. I am fortunate to be able to go through the week when I want to shoot. I have the place to myself at the time I get up there. I am usually in and out by 2 o'clock. About the only guys I run into are the old men shooting bench rest rimfire. I mean the hard core rimfire shooters. They usually stay on the opposite side of the big bore boys.

Yup. That's why I dont go on weekends or holidays. Weekday mornings my experience there is what you describe at Riverbend. And it's free and closer. If I lived closer to Riverbend I would join but it's too far to be usable enough for me to justify the expense. Would be nice though. I hear it's a really nice club. Haven't shot there but I've looked at it online. I'm one more bad experience from having to pull the trigger on a club like riverbend.

Seen it myself and was actually up front when the coupons were presented. Moments later a father and son come out complaining and left. It was a bunch of chicks waving the gun around and taking selfies. I went in and stayed on the opposite end of them just to watch. Seen my fair share of more than likely paper gangsters shooting as well

My wife decided to get the FMJ membership at Governor's when they had their grand opening... it's so nice to use the member's only range and leave the idiots downstairs. Everyone I've met shooting there have been really nice, friendly and considerate to others shooting.

I've sworn off public ranges...

My wife decided to get the FMJ membership at Governor's when they had their grand opening... it's so nice to use the member's only range and leave the idiots downstairs. Everyone I've met shooting there have been really nice, friendly and considerate to others shooting.

I've sworn off public ranges...

I love governors. Great place. Really like the 100 meter range with the computer. I just cant justify spending that much coin on a membership when I'm so limited in how I can shoot. The 100 meter is a tunnel so you are forced to shoot from a bench which isnt my thing unless I'm just testing a load or doing a quick zero. Very useful for that though. Pistols are ok but rifles are my thing so 25 yard pistol range I can only shoot from standing just isnt really usable for me. It's a really nice place though and I keep meaning to hit that awesome indoor skeet range just haven't gotten around to it.

Back
Top Bottom