• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I have a gun law question

I have lived in five different states and all had their own laws. One was the gun had to be in a case in a different part of the car " the trunk " and the ammo had to be boxed and in the glove compartment. One was no gun at all. Years ago I started building AR's and just got back more into collecting guns and target shooting rather than hunting. So I knew you could transport guns back and forth to the range and I kept the guns and ammo separate just to cover my bases. Gun building, collecting' reloading and target shooting is a hobby for me not a lifestyle. I see these guys with their black pants tucked into their military issue combat boots, sleeveless shirts with a Glock tattoo and a confederate bandana on his head lurking around with their hand on their piece. Meanwhile just looking for an opportunity to draw down on someone and fire. I AM NOT THE ONE!

Can you honestly tell me you can recite every driving law verbatim at this very second. I highly doubt it so you shouldn't own a car. That's basically what you are saying. That's just flat out ridiculous. Not only is it ridiculous it's asinine. I am not looking to go to war over a question but come on man listen to what you are saying.

Over in another jurisdiction a few years ago.....

Officer pulls over a man rolling through a stop sign. Officer writes ticket then asks if there are weapons in the car. Driver says, "Why yes, in the trunk." Officer asks to search the trunk, sees a shotgun in a case in the trunk, seizes it, explains it is an illegally concealed firearm "according to the law" takes it into the police station, hands over to Evidence. Brother (command staff) sees it, says, "Where did this come from?" After an explanation he goes ballistic, berates the dumbass officer, explains the codes then has to contact the man and has to beg him to not file suit against the agency.

Many officers have no idea what the "law" is.

Over in another jurisdiction a few years ago.....

Officer pulls over a man rolling through a stop sign. Officer writes ticket then asks if there are weapons in the car. Driver says, "Why yes, in the trunk." Officer asks to search the trunk, sees a shotgun in a case in the trunk, seizes it, explains it is an illegally concealed firearm "according to the law" takes it into the police station, hands over to Evidence. Brother (command staff) sees it, says, "Where did this come from?" After an explanation he goes ballistic, berates the dumbass officer, explains the codes then has to contact the man and has to beg him to not file suit against the agency.

Many officers have no idea what the "law" is.

haha that's great!

That just goes to show you if you don't know the answer and can't find it ask. There is nothing wrong with that. Even the law enforcement officers don't know half the time what is legal and what is not.
I do now that if you are caught in New Jersey with any kind of handgun loaded in the car it's a felony. On your record forever. A raw deal if you ask me. I have been in so many states it hard to remember what's what when it comes to guns in your vehicle.
When I go to the range I have my guns secured in hard cases and the ammo is packed in a different range tote. I don't want any harry situations with the man. I get kind of nervous anyway because I'm usually packing 4 or 5 rifles and two to four handguns. With all the gun thefts these days I just know I am going to be setting on the side of the road while he calls in every serial number and check the history of every gun I have in the truck. There goes range day. Shot to hell for packing a small arsenal of guns and ammo.
However, I am now schooled on guns in my vehicle and I don't have to worry about getting pulled over if I decide to carry one from time to time. I appreciate all the positive responses that really helped me out. As for the other nonsense, we will just chalk that up as someone had a bad day and needed to vent. Or he was coming down off heroin. LOL J/K. All is good.

Can you honestly tell me you can recite every driving law verbatim at this very second. I highly doubt it so you shouldn't own a car. That's basically what you are saying. That's just flat out ridiculous. Not only is it ridiculous it's asinine. I am not looking to go to war over a question but come on man listen to what you are saying.

Was this directed at any person or their response, in particular?

I answered the question you asked, with the relevant code sections, so you would have an exact answer. Sometimes, though, in order to have an exact answer a little more info is needed. Such as a person age, whether they possess a GWCL, etc. These things matter when it comes to firearms law in Georgia.

If it was not directed to me, then I apologize for not understanding who your rant was directed at and will go about my business!!!

Thanks,

Jerry

Was this directed at any person or their response, in particular?

I answered the question you asked, with the relevant code sections, so you would have an exact answer. Sometimes, though, in order to have an exact answer a little more info is needed. Such as a person age, whether they possess a GWCL, etc. These things matter when it comes to firearms law in Georgia.

If it was not directed to me, then I apologize for not understanding who your rant was directed at and will go about my business!!!

Thanks,

Jerry
It wasn't directed at you. We are good.

Officer....I have nothing illegal in my vehicle.....
This will get you scrutinized more closely, officer's are trained to pick up on people avoiding direct answers to the questions asked. "I don't have anything illegal " to the question would be considered an evasive answer

This will get you scrutinized more closely, officer's are trained to pick up on people avoiding direct answers to the questions asked. "I don't have anything illegal " to the question would be considered an evasive answer

I have stated this on more than one occasion, no scrutiny just once was asked why I answered that way and my response was politely "because it has nothing to do with why I was stopped". Crossed the centerline briefly in Lawrencevile, of course she asked if I knew why I was being stopped prior to asking to which I replied no. Warning. I was polite and courtious.

I also had a pistol under a jacket on the passenger seat, just left Bullseye. Setting yourself up to be at the whim of a stranger is not a good strategy. Following the law is even better!

Back
Top Bottom