• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I need mechanical help!

svjarvis

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
37   1
Reaction score
So I have a 2001 2wd F150. V8 4.6L.
Alright so in the past year I have replaced the battery, and alternator. So yesterday it wouldn't crank, all I heard was a click and nothing. It wasn't continuous clicking like a dead battery but just 1 loud click. So I replaced the starter solenoid yesterday. after I did so it crank ride up, even twice in a row. But now this morning it's back to the same loud click. so I am wondering if anyone out there has any advise as to what to do next

I've got the same truck from 1997... Is the loud click the solenoid engaging but the starter motor won't turn? Kind of sounds like a loose wire since it worked fine yesterday... maybe?

Don't use autozone parts!!!!! Check all connections to battery/ starter for corrosion replace battery terminals with good OE cables if at all corroded , pay a pro

If all your connections check out and you have cleaned the cable ends....Then I'd replace the cables with new OEM ones.
Your cables could be corroded under the insulation where you can't see it and thus preventing the current to flow properly. (This happened to me one time)

I've had similar problems on Fords. After the loud click when trying to start it, does anything work (dome light, door locks etc) with the key still in the on position?
If not, it has always been a faulty ground connection somewhere from the block to the chassis.

Disconnect your ground cable from the battery.
Pull the starter out, reconnect the wires and jumper a ground to it or use jumper cables to dry fire it.
If it works, it may be out of alignment with the flywheel or flex plate and only partially engaging.
You might get away with twisting it or shimming it. Some just don't line up so well.

Back
Top Bottom