• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I saw a wolf?? tonight in the woods behind my house

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had no issues with the large animal lately. I do have a nice infrared game camera under the Christmas Tree. or at least that's what I've been told. Thats why I haven't gone out and bought one already. Oh and if I do shoot it I won't be bragging about it. My brother is a taxidermist and it is tempting to talk to him about it.

If it was a wolf, I think you would know.

I have seen a real timberwolf. I have petted one. No kidding-a guy I used to know rode around with a female timberwolf in his truck. She was "tame" had been raised around people since a pup.

-Let me tell you-if it were really a wolf, you would have known-instinctively. They have very long legs. They don't just look like big dogs. Their body size is similar to a German Shepard, but the legs are much, much longer.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...=72&ndsp=43&ved=1t:429,r:40,s:72&tx=115&ty=60

I think that if it were a real wolf, you would have known. There is no question when you see one. Very tall. They don't even look like dogs at a distance-the legs are so long that you would know something is up.

Last edited:
I know what a timberwolf looks like. I have seen several up close. I have two friends who own them. One in Douglasville GA and another in Soddy Daisy Tn. This was a huge freaking animal. Like I said, I own two huge Great Pyrenees guard dogs. It was a lot larger than either of my dogs. Longer legs also.

My dogs are probably safe behind the 6 foot chain link fence. Now that the adrenalin has worn off I've been looking at some photos. Yes it looked like a large gray wolf. I just haven't heard of them being this far south in the wild. I know two people with "pet" wolves and they are awesome and huge. If this was a coyote it was between 100 and 150 pounds at least.

I live in Indiana. Way off the 'normal' expected range of Coyotes, but they have invaded NYC, Chicago, and Detroit.

Several times, in the last few years, as I left for work at Midnight, I have seen very large Coyotes. One, trotted across my drive as I headed out to the road. At the time, I guessed it at 80 to 100 pounds, by comparing to dogs that I have seen.

I have also seen pups, playing in the road, at night, and yes, I am certain they were Coyotes.

This, part of Indiana is 'farmland'. The nearest 'Forest' is many miles away.

You may or may not have seen a Gray Wolf, but I would not discount it, unless we both saw a photographof it.

Fantastic Dogs you have !

OK...

Mystery Solved...

Here's the story...

It was Christmas eve... 7:30 pm... already dark. My dogs start barking and tearing at the fence. I step out back with a light and see nothing. I walk to the front and see a box truck idling in the street about 200 yards from my front porch. They are sitting in front of a house with no lights on. I see one of my neighbors come out and get in their car. The box truck moves on down the street and stops in front of another house with no lights on (a foreclosure).

I've about had enough of this, I say to myself. There have been 4 burglaries within 1/2 miles of my house in the last few weeks. What the hell is a box truck doing stopping in front of homes in my neighborhood after dark on Christmas Eve? I strap on my pistol and grab my AR just in case. I hop in my car and do a drive by to see what's up. Sure enough, I see a box truck pulled up in the driveway and a guy with a dim flashlight walking around the back of the house. I pull on up to a neighbor's house and see his new tools sitting on the tailgate of his new truck next to the street. I step out of my car and ring his doorbell. I tell him what I'm seeing down the street and ask him to put in a call to 911 and report a potential burglary. I also mention his tools on his tailgate. About that time, his big F-in dog comes around the corner. It is a Malamute/Wolf Hybrid. What a beautiful dog. This thing is huge and a gorgeous beast. I stumble over my words, compliment him on his dog and refrain from telling him that I almost shot his dog a while back.

I get back in my car and drive back up to my house. I tell my wife also to call 911 and head back down to the house. I pull my car up to the driveway and get out. I ask the guys what they are doing. They tell me they have a work order from some bank/real estate firm to clean up some debris at the location (Storm downed some trees) and put a new lock on the door. They have a work order supposedly.

After dark on Christmas Eve way out in the country? Give me a break. I tell them that a Deputy is on the way and I'll stay there with them until he has a chance to look over their paperwork. I keep my hand on my pistol and don't get too close to them the whole time. I explain to them about the rash of break-ins and they tell me it is not their first time to have the cops called on them.

Turns out these guys are from Canton, all the way up in Rocky Face and Chickamauga doing bank work. The deputy puts their ID in the computer and tells them that the Detective working the burglaries will call them first if any more homes are broken into around here. One of the guys had priors for Breaking & Entering and Burglary.

The deputy told them to go on with their work but explained to the guys that they look way too suspicious not to have the cops called on them. He didn't ask me for my ID or even ask any questions about me open carrying. He told me that if I ever see anybody else in the area like these guys to call them again. We don't have a neighborhood watch in place but I keep my eyes open. These guys weren't too bright and maybe I wasn't too bright either to confront them but I can't stand by and do nothing.

I guess that's a long story to tell you guys that I think I've finally solved the Wolf Mystery. Now I've got to talk to that guy about keeping his dog put up in a fence.

Last edited:
OK...

Mystery Solved...

Here's the story...

It was Christmas eve... 7:30 pm... already dark. My dogs start barking and tearing at the fence. I step out back with a light and see nothing. I walk to the front and see a box truck idling in the street about 200 yards from my front porch. They are sitting in front of a house with no lights on. I see one of my neighbors come out and get in their car. The box truck moves on down the street and stops in front of another house with no lights on (a foreclosure).

I've about had enough of this, I say to myself. There have been 4 burglaries within 1/2 miles of my house in the last few weeks. What the hell is a box truck doing stopping in front of homes in my neighborhood after dark on Christmas Eve? I strap on my pistol and grab my AR just in case. I hop in my car and do a drive by to see what's up. Sure enough, I see a box truck pulled up in the driveway and a guy with a dim flashlight walking around the back of the house. I pull on up to a neighbor's house and see his new tools sitting on the tailgate of his new truck next to the street. I step out of my car and ring his doorbell. I tell him what I'm seeing down the street and ask him to put in a call to 911 and report a potential burglary. I also mention his tools on his tailgate. About that time, his big F-in dog comes around the corner. It is a Malamute/Wolf Hybrid. What a beautiful dog. This thing is huge and a gorgeous beast. I stumble over my words, compliment him on his dog and refrain from telling him that I almost shot his dog a while back.

I get back in my car and drive back up to my house. I tell my wife also to call 911 and head back down to the house. I pull my car up to the driveway and get out. I ask the guys what they are doing. They tell me they have a work order from some bank/real estate firm to clean up some debris at the location (Storm downed some trees) and put a new lock on the door. They have a work order supposedly.

After dark on Christmas Eve way out in the country? Give me a break. I tell them that a Deputy is on the way and I'll stay there with them until he has a chance to look over their paperwork. I keep my hand on my pistol and don't get too close to them the whole time. I explain to them about the rash of break-ins and they tell me it is not their first time to have the cops called on them.

Turns out these guys are from Canton, all the way up in Rocky Face and Chickamauga doing bank work. The deputy puts their ID in the computer and tells them that the Detective working the burglaries will call them first if any more homes are broken into around here. One of the guys had priors for Breaking & Entering and Burglary.

The deputy told them to go on with their work but explained to the guys that they look way too suspicious not to have the cops called on them. He didn't ask me for my ID or even ask any questions about me open carrying. He told me that if I ever see anybody else in the area like these guys to call them again. We don't have a neighborhood watch in place but I keep my eyes open. These guys weren't too bright and maybe I wasn't too bright either to confront them but I can't stand by and do nothing.

I guess that's a long story to tell you guys that I think I've finally solved the Wolf Mystery. Now I've got to talk to that guy about keeping his dog put up in a fence.

Darn. A very interesting story about a possible Gray Wolf, turns into a discovery of a Wolf Hybrid, and a possible story of Hoods, Thieves and Burglars with an aside of possible noisy gunfire and other confrontations.

You live in a very exciting neighborhood.

I hear that Mr. Rogers moved out of that area with his "sweater" and "tenny shoes".

Actually my neighborhood is pretty quiet most of the time except for a guy who shoots his pistols at least once a week and the occasional squealing tires of somebody leaving my neighbor's house after a tune-up on his truck.

The DNR released several gray wolves and red wolves her in N.E Ga..(Rabun Co)...You cannot shoot the red wolves they are protected..But lay hell on the Grey ones. I know of two that has been taken here in the last 3 months.
Me personally, I don't want them here. They are a threat to our children and animals. And I think the DNR needs to INFORM people when they decide to turn things loose in our back yards that could endanger our family's!
This is like shooting a Grizz in the ass and turning him loose in the middle of Gainsville thinking he won't hurt a soul...
They are a bunch of Jackhole's.....The average man doesn't have say in this country any longer....pittifull!

OK...

Mystery Solved...

Here's the story...

Just an observation.....

Probably not a good idea to have the wife and neighbor call the cops due to potential break in.....and you're roaming around the street with a gun on ya. You'd have been suspect number 1 if I was a cop and had rolled up on the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom