• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I shot myself. I'm done shooting steel

I don't shoot steel unless it is far out, like with a rifle. This is why. Glad you're all right man.

I was at the range yesterday shooting plates. I assume I hit the rack and it ricocheted. I was struck just above my eye and it continued to cut the edge of my ear. I was probably 12 yards from the rack which is closer than I realized.
One bullet to the head took me out of the fight. I was not a determined attacker but I knew I was done.
9mm hurts.
I will never shoot without safety glasses. I had them on and am thankful.
When you are sweating a cut on your ear can bleed a lot. I always carry wet wipes and the pack that belongs in the car is in a softball bag somewhere. Time to restock. I also need a better first aid kit. The one I have has been picked through.
I was thankful my kids were not there. I bled more than I wanted them to see.

How far away are you when you shoot plates?
Went to a BST conference and Tony Crowe spoke INJAM.
A good read since I'm in Safety.

After being hit/cut by the jacket from a 45 while shooting swinging plates, I have NEVER shot any more plates from a head on position. But do shoot them from an angle as close as 5 yards!

Sent from my B3-A40 using Tapatalk

Well it's a good thing you didn't loose and eye or sustained a worse injury. I have felt little bits of shrapnell hit my face usually because that's not the one of the places on the body is covered. Don't let it scare you. You had the appropriate eyewear on so you are good. Don't let it detter you from hitting the range again. Get back on that horse.

Back
Top Bottom