• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I typed all of this out then the thread closed before I hit enter. Just wanted to share.

We probably have met at some point then. Yeah aluminum arrows seem to give a smoother flight off the rest. The old knocks on carbon were larger than the shafts if I remember right which impacted the rest and screwed up flight.

We probably did meet! The aluminum, I guess I just got use to the flexing instead of the super stiffness of the carbon arrows. Carbon made for super fast flight, but not the best control for me! I guess the ol' story is this "you cannot teach an ol' dog new tricks".

I shot 3D back in the day, late 80s till around mid 90s. I tried to switch over to the carbon arrows but did so much better with the aluminum ones. I won a few tourney's here in their but mainly went for the fellowship. The bargain barn put on some good tourneys (back when it was a bargain to show their) I do miss those ol'days!
You made a good choice - aluminum is the best arrow material for consistency and straightness. The durability of carbon is hard to turn away from though.
I always try to keep a dozen of aluminum arrows fixed up for shooting in the off season.
I remember riding up to Bargain Barn with my Father-the old location-and spending countless hours in there. Heck, I bought my first compound bow there-a Martin Lynx.

You made a good choice - aluminum is the best arrow material for consistency and straightness. The durability of carbon is hard to turn away from though.
I always try to keep a dozen of aluminum arrows fixed up for shooting in the off season.
I remember riding up to Bargain Barn with my Father-the old location-and spending countless hours in there. Heck, I bought my first compound bow there-a Martin Lynx.

That old store made a ton of money off me, but some great prices. Seriously, back when the original store was going they had the best prices around. I bought my hunter/competition bow there, browning mirage xe lefty. I still have it. Back then it was near top of the line.

Well said! Did you just have a
tse1_mm_bing_net_th_d367d155c9a88f160ab3d0866e2141ee._.jpg
? :becky:
I've notice Karl being down right personable lately. Recon he found a woman that puts up with him? LOL:boink:

It's all shot placement and tactics. A trick I use when tracking if a deer ran over 60 yards is take a spray bottle. Fill it with hydrogen peroxide and add some food coloring. When the peroxide hits blood, it will foam up like crazy. The food coloring will make the foam even more noticeable. Also I use a square of toilet paper at each drop or pool of blood. It really helps you maintain a visible trail of where the deer came from and what direction he is heading. Another thing to consider is the majority of the time the deer will head to cover, water or a bedding area. Also it's not uncommon for a deer to circle back on you.

EDIT: not to pick at you Bypass Bypass but did you feel that was a good shot to take? I never felt comfortable taking a shot down the back, head on or facing away. I try to consider the anatomy of a deer when releasing the arrow. I've had to pass on more deer than I can count because I thought I may hit a shoulder if the front leg is tucked back. I hit the biggest deer of my life in the shoulder once because I got caught up in the moment of having him in bow range. I heard that arrow smack that bone and my heart suck. I tracked him for a couple hundred yards with minimal blood. I spent at least 8 hours or more looking for him with help. No luck on my end, but I saw him on camera a few times over the years after. I learned my lesson to breathe and collect myself now. But I will never forget that when drawing on a deer now. Again, I hope this is not interpreted as flaming or picking at you.

Here is what I had typed in response to RdKill RdKill before the thread closed....

This was the only sound advice that you typed in that whole entire rant? That's all that you can contribute after becoming so skilled in archery? Learn about some "patience" and "respect" when it comes to educating your fellow sportsmen and women on the finer points of archery. I'm glad that you respect the sport and are so passionate about archery, but don't belittle folks just to make yourself look or feel better. A bad attitude and the "holier than thou" mentality doesn't help things one bit. All that it does is tarnish your image and make those who are seeking your advice as ignorant as you are, because you left them with literally nothing to pass on to the next up and coming archer.
Offer some true, constructive criticism with a little bit of patience and respect, since you claim to have so much of both. How can somebody truly learn from you and take the information you offered if you deliver it with no regard or respect for them?
Not all folks can afford or want to buy top of the line equipment, especially those who are just getting into archery. I guarantee you that I could take out my "antiquated" setup and shoot it just as well as any other.
I guess if you met Chuck Adams you'd tell him to put away his homemade finger tabs and those "antiquated" aluminum arrows named in honor of him and get some carbon arrows and a release? Perhaps you could tell Darren Collins who also achieved a Super Slam the same thing too. He switched from carbon back to aluminum so I suppose he's shooting antiquated equipment too.
I guess they don't know as much as you do, despite achieving Super Slams themselves. Many folks, myself included, don't have to compensate for lacking ability with top of the line, overpriced equipment. You should really step back and read what you type out before pressing the Post button. In fact, read it twice because your post had twice as much BS than helpful info. My hats off to the others who have expressed their opinions or offered advice with tact and/or some class.

NOBODY needs to be out learning to shoot a bow and hunting at the same time. NOBODY can teach archery in text on a forum. I'm sure anybody here, myself included, would be more than willing to give a noob some lessons and pointers but it has to be in person. I'm the only one here that has a problem with this hunting before learning to shoot thing? Good Lord, let me know when the season is over and it's safe to go back out in the woods. Do you guys run into Walmart, purchase a Savage rifle and a Scope, take it straight to the woods without sighting the scope in and getting the feel of the new rifle? What do you do? BAM! oops..missed high and wide to the right...adjust...hey there's another one BAM oops shot him in the ass...guess I went too far left...adjust adjust...Hey! there's another one! Hell...I don't spend too much time getting the "feel" of a new rifle either, but I damn sure sight the scope in and make sure I know where my bullets are hitting before flinging them wildly at wildlife. Archery is a hell of a lot more complicated than that.

If Chuck Adams and Darren Collins want to shoot aluminium, good for them. i have a few I shoot now and then too. Whatever they are shooting, I bet they punch the middle out of a few targets before competing or hunting, right?

I'm the only one here that has a problem with this hunting before learning to shoot thing?
No. You're just the only that can't convey your point tactfully enough for it to be heard over your mouth foaming. Even when people agree with you in general, your tone makes it impossible to pull any pearls of wisdom from the steaming pile of self appointed superiority.

NOBODY needs to be out learning to shoot a bow and hunting at the same time. NOBODY can teach archery in text on a forum. I'm sure anybody here, myself included, would be more than willing to give a noob some lessons and pointers but it has to be in person. I'm the only one here that has a problem with this hunting before learning to shoot thing? Good Lord, let me know when the season is over and it's safe to go back out in the woods. Do you guys run into Walmart, purchase a Savage rifle and a Scope, take it straight to the woods without sighting the scope in and getting the feel of the new rifle? What do you do? BAM! oops..missed high and wide to the right...adjust...hey there's another one BAM oops shot him in the ass...guess I went too far left...adjust adjust...Hey! there's another one! Hell...I don't spend too much time getting the "feel" of a new rifle either, but I damn sure sight the scope in and make sure I know where my bullets are hitting before flinging them wildly at wildlife. Archery is a hell of a lot more complicated than that.

If Chuck Adams and Darren Collins want to shoot aluminium, good for them. i have a few I shoot now and then too. Whatever they are shooting, I bet they punch the middle out of a few targets before competing or hunting, right?

You know how much he has practiced and you know he hasn't sighted in his bow? You are good. Maybe, just maybe, he missed. Big ****ing deal. Get over yourself. Everybody misses. Even if its a magical exploding arrow that makes you miss.

Back
Top Bottom