• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I'm considering buying a Jeep. Advise and smart-a** comments requested

I remember this when I think of jeep
Resized_Screenshot_20210606-102845_Chrome.jpeg

Hey all,
I'm considering buying a jeep to have as an extra vehicle and something fun that my wife and daughters could cruise around town and occasionally take to the mountains.

I know jeeps aren't known for reliability so I have some reservations. I'm handy but with 2 jobs and 2 kids I don't have time to piddle around with fixing a jeep constantly.

I like basic Jeeps. 2-4" of lift would be ideal.

I don't mind a brush guard and winch but don't want crazy mods and purple neons mounted to the frame.

1) I'm thinking about 2 options:
Option A: Spend less than $15k and find an older (maybe 1995-2005) 2 door wrangler with low miles and preferably 1 owner.
Option B: spend $25k-$35k and get a 4 door wrangler 2015ish with low miles and preferably 1 owner. 4 door would be much more convenient for the kids and surely more comfortable in the back seat.

2) I 100% believe that a jeep should be manual transmission. I'm sure my wife would appreciate an automatic. Are Jeep transmissions any good.

3) I've always heard the 4.0L inline 6 is a good engine. What are other good engines in Jeeps?

4) I'll never buy a car from the auto bail out era (2006-2009). i've heard too many stories of lemons in this timeframe. Any other models, engines, etc to avoid?

5) Aside from rust what should I watch out for? Signs of being submerged? etc?

Any other advice or smart-a** comments are welcomed.
As long as you only consider it and not really do it you are good in both camps.

The jeep I had was a 2013 jk, it was pretty good. Had 3.5" lift, 3.73 gears, most of the issues I had were of my own doing from offroading but other issues were part failures that shouldnt have happened. The jeep my wife had was a 2015 jku. That one on the other hand was a mechanical nightmare and we ultimately traded it in on a new blazer for her. I got rid of mine and got a ram. The upkeep and maintence just got to be too much to consider it fun still. If you like working on your vehicle, spending outrageous amounts of money on them and on parts a jeep is for you. If not I wouldn't recommend getting one.

Remember JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket.

Also if you are worried about comfort of passengers in the rear seating area don't get one. My 2 door jeep had the back seat taken out of it most of the time. My wife's 4 door rear seating area was very crammed, uncomfortable, and had poor air circulation.

If you insist on getting a newer 2007+ avoid the 3.8L engine., prone to premature failure, horrible mpg, and leaks oil like crazy. The 3.6L is a better engine.

I have a 13 2 door auto that I bought new. 3 in lift and 33’s. Roughly 60,000 miles. Maybe I am just a lucky one but so far only thing that has been done to it is tires, oil changes and one wheel sensor. Daughters car is in the shop after Bambi decided to take out the left front quarter panel and headlight. She asked to drive the Jeep to Gatlinberg for three days and just got back tonight. No problems except the 14 miles to a gallon she got.

Back
Top Bottom