• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

In doubt of 9mm being best for prepping

Most folks moving and settling out west used a shotgun for just about everything from what I’ve read. I wasn’t around then but it makes sense most couldn’t afford but one firearm to hunt and protect themselves. I don’t believe everything was quick draw single action and guys carrying a repeating rifle and a pistol unless they were in the military or had plenty of money.

Yeah, but now the opposing team is more likely to have better stuff than back then. Don't want to get into 100 yard fight with a 50 yard firearm.

Exactly this^ 30 rounds of 556 and 18 rounds of 9mm in the palm of my hand ready to go. It's 2023 and we ain't cowboys.

View attachment 5180532

Of course yes, 357 is a capable cartridge and can handle many situations. But your potential enemies are most likely going to be armed with high capacity 556 rifles and 9mm handguns because like or not that is the most effective tactics available and you will be outgunned Carrying a cowboy load out from the wild west.

Boy you are screwed both of those magazines are either empty or full of dumdum rounds lol

The other consideration is being able to procure/scavenge and use ammo. So, good to keep in mind what might be available for pick up. I guess you could always plan to scavenge firearms as well. As the 1st Sgt said in we were soldiers, if it comes time for me to need one there will be plenty of them lying on the ground. May or may not be the case.

If on the move ammo resupply wasn't a concern I think 10mm would be a good choice. Decent range for east coast where we have a lot of suburbs and urban areas. Good at going through concealment.

Exactly this^ 30 rounds of 556 and 18 rounds of 9mm in the palm of my hand ready to go. It's 2023 and we ain't cowboys.

View attachment 5180532

Of course yes, 357 is a capable cartridge and can handle many situations. But your potential enemies are most likely going to be armed with high capacity 556 rifles and 9mm handguns because like or not that is the most effective tactics available and you will be outgunned Carrying a cowboy load out from the wild west.
I was thinking the same thing. "Bug out," "Boogaloo," or buying gas at 2:45 a.m. in Macon, don't bring a 9mm to a 5.56mm fight.

Another consideration is how good are you with those type of rifles? If I was a cowboy action shooter I'd probably carry a lever action and revolver. I spent most my time using AR's, pistols and bolt action rifles and know my equipment. Go with what ya know and can use well. 90% of folks are gonna be guy number 2 running from the bear.

Need more background on eotw scenario to make a fair assessment.
What are we dealing with here- zombies, fallout, biological disaster, famine (most likely at the moment), climate catastrophe, New world order? What are the details?

In any of these events im suggesting having a 16" 556 platform and a glock 19/17. But if there are zombies i agree with the 357. Always need a tertiary

Need more info OP

The firefight I watched in September in my front yard, bad guy (singular) had a box mag fed 556 and good guys (plural) had 9mm pistols. Both good guys are dead. Bad guy is not.

This made sense for years ago, and honestly 357 out of a lever gun hits like 7.62x39 or 30-30 so it’s good.

But we have different logistics and supply trains. If I want a rifle, I want it to do rifle damage to the target, not pistol damage.

Pistols are for walking around Kroger armed without calling attention to it. Rifles are for ****ing **** up that needs to be shot.
Agreed! People focus to much ( which is ok to a point) about human threat and not much on what comes next. So rifle will make some take a second guess about screwing around with you. Especially if you have a mongo mag or even two mags tapped together. If you live on the outskirts of a city, in two days you could be out of saturated civilization so everything after that is med human threat. The next issue is running low on MRE's or the like and hunting is going to be a priority at that point. I think a handgun should be a secondary line of defense. Just like the military boys do it. Just want to hear people's view on it because every little idea no matter how insignificant it might sound at the time may prove to come in useful in the event something arrives. Not that will happen anytime soon but it's better to have planned than to wing it.

Back
Top Bottom