• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

In market for a new 4x4 Pickup - what brand?

There are only 2 on your list that I would recommend and that would have a better than average chance of reaching your 25 year mark and that would be the Tacoma and Tundra. I would not buy the new (2022) Tundra if you go that route so go with a low mileage used one.

If I had to go with any of the rest on your list, I would research the best years with the fewest problems and get that year. New is not always the most reliable especially with Ram/Ford/GM.

If you go used, the 2nd Gen Tacoma (2005-2015) are super solid. I would not hesitate to pick up a low mileage 2015 and expect many many miles of reliable service. The only issue could be rust, and if you can avoid a rust belt truck your probably solid there.

The 3rd Gen (latest model) Tacoma's are also proving to be solid with some already reaching a couple of hundred thousand miles trouble free.

If you don't mind a little less power and you are not going to tow or haul very heavy they still make the Tacoma with the 4cyl that is basically bullet proof.

I am a diehard Chevy guy, but want a pickup for the rest of my life. Don't need a monstrous bed and will not be towing a trailer or camper. Has to be 4 wheel drive though.

So here are my thoughts of what I think I may want, and would like your opinions based on experience of each model and what size motor works best ( more so for reliability):

Toyota Tacoma
Toyota Tundra
GMC Sierra 1500
Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Ford F150

Maybe RAM

Been out of the new car game for a long while because I have always bought used. But the prices on used pickups are very close to new pickups nowadays and some mfrs are offering 0%.
I can vouch for the Tundra (up through 2021). Never had any issue with mine. 5.7L has plenty of umphf but the 2022 only comes with a 3.5L V6 now.

I can vouch for the Tundra (up through 2021). Never had any issue with mine. 5.7L has plenty of umphf but the 2022 only comes with a 3.5L V6 now.
It comes with the 3.5 Turbo that is having tons of issues with failed turbo's poor assembly quality and quite a few other electrical gremlins.

If that holds true on the Turbo and techie trucks Toyota is putting out going forward, it would probably be a good idea to pick up a spare or 2 of the previous generation. I'm working on finding a Tundra and a 4runner in the near future before they muck up the 4 runner in a couple of year (or next year).

I think the 2 best body on frame vehicles Toyota builds for the US right now are the Tacoma and the 4runner. With the 4 runner getting a bit of a long term reliability edge over the Tacoma due to even older proven technology.

I have a 2011 Tacoma with the V6. Pretty much my daily driver. Not one issue in 11 years.
Tacoma4.jpg

I was a Chevrolet guy, until I picked up a new 2012 F150 crew cab EcoBoost. The cabin room is amazing, especially the back seat. At 187K miles it’s still running strong. I have the tow/haul package and pulled my pontoon boat and my Airstream trailer with no issues. Plenty of power and 19-20 MPG.
It may not be the best… but it works for me.

Stay away from the F150, I have a 2019 5.0, 10 speed transmission with only 61,000 and the auto start feature is causing intermittent problems that won’t pull a code so it’s hard to track and get repaired. Do a google search on it. Good luck as it seems everything is a POS nowadays.
They make a module that will stop that nonsense.

Or try this for free-

I leased a new 2021 Toyota Tundra, it was a gas guzzler but fantastic in every other way, i miss it

the New 2022 Tundra is interesting as the big V8 is gone and the new Turbo V6 makes more power and torque with vastly increased gas mileage

7 months into my lease they offered me a check for $2k to give it back, i took the deal

Back
Top Bottom