• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is an AR lower a Rifle or a Part?

Is an AR lower a rifle or a part?

• It is a rifle, list it in rifles.

Votes: 48 47.1%
  • It is a part, list it in parts/accessories.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • It is a rifle, but I would prefer it was listed in parts.

Votes: 19 18.6%

• Total voters
List them as rifles. If you dont want to buy it then dont click on the ad. Where any of us WANT lowers to be listed is beside the point.

Misrepresentaion of a stripped lower as a "part" is a crime. /THREAD

It's a part. There is a lower half that cannot be fired. Part of a rifle. There is an upper half that cannot be fired. Again part of a rifle. Put them together and you have a rifle to fire. I don't care where it gets posted. I'll find it.

I call it a firearm, but as a retired LEO, I tend to think toward the statutory definition and I wouldn't want to confuse a novice who might think because it COULD be called a part, it doesn't require as much diligence as one would extend to a fully assembled FIREARM and then get themselves into a potentially very expensive legal dilema.

Exactly. If the BATF says it's a gun then anyone not legally able to own a FIREARM can't buy it. Someone could get in serious trouble for selling their "parts"

Interesting topic, BATF must of flipped a coin years ago to figure out what part to put the serial number on. Look at the Ruger .22 MK I-III pistols, popular, lot of custom accessories, has two main parts, and the serial number is on the barrel assembly versus the lower trigger assembly. Badger brings up a good point that it shouldn't be called a part, someone would trade one across state lines without a FFL transfer and say it is a part, ignorance isn't a defense in court. But in perspective everyone that sells and trades on this site should have a basic understanding of state and federal laws when it comes to the selling, shipping and transferring of ammo, parts, and firearms through the forum. Maybe Steve could set up a section with questions and links to the answers, for example it could be too easy to get hit by a federal charge if you live in Columbus and sell a firearm to an individual who claims they live in Georgia but actually live in Alabama and not go through a FFL transfer. Check ID's. Shipping ammo and long guns in Georgia, selling to someone under 18, etc.

Instead of an AR receiver, what if it were a M-98 mauser receiver. Definitely list that under parts. And, yes, other than in state , it must go through a FFL.

Just because I like this topic I'll toss this out there.

gun (gun)
noun
a weapon consisting of a metal tube from which a projectile is discharged by the force of an explosive; specif., technically, a heavy weapon with a relatively long barrel fixed in a mount, as a cannon or machine gun
a rifle

Webster/Wikipedia can't lock your butt up for a minimum year sentence because of the definition of "GUN". You ain't Bill Clinton and that argument won't fly when you try to defend yourself.

The AR/AK (black rifle) section might not be a bad idea. It's your football, in the end it's up to you no matter if it's right or wrong.

If I'm shopping for a lower of any type, I look at the firearms sections of any website. Not the parts section. As anyone can order parts, but it must go through an FFL to order a lower. So I've been conditioned, for lack of a better term to shop for lowers this way. A complete lower with a rifle stock I'd look in the rifle section. A complete pistol lower would be in the pistol section. A stripped lower would be listed in the AR section of both.

Back
Top Bottom