• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is an AR lower a Rifle or a Part?

Is an AR lower a rifle or a part?

• It is a rifle, list it in rifles.

Votes: 48 47.1%
  • It is a part, list it in parts/accessories.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • It is a rifle, but I would prefer it was listed in parts.

Votes: 19 18.6%

• Total voters
and there it is, I've bee waiting on the ban button warning. If I've broken any rules feel free to point them out before you ban me so everyone else can avoid being banned.

You're very wrong when you say I'm not taking your comments seriously. The folks over at PETA would take your chicken sandwich as a statement that you are not a supporter of theirs. The fact that you have a girlfriend and call her is a statement that you are not gay. There are gays in Atlanta that will take that as you are against them even if you could care less.
That's the point that you miss. What you do might not be a statement to you, you might be very happy living in a world where your actions mean nothing, but you can be sure of something. Your actions are statements to someone.

You'll figure this out very quickly if you turn that girlfriend into a wife. Just to make sure everyone knows, I'm not taking a shot at the girlfriend and I wish you only the best with her.

If the back an forth is useless for you we could have agreed to disagree a long time ago. Again I've only defended posts where I was quoted, I just have to keep doing it and they keep getting more heated.

So am I now making a statement or taking a stand? Hard to debate a moving target.

OK Super Mod, you are right about some things and way off on others.

first off you are right it is an opinion poll and when I expressed my opinion those that do not agree with me jumped on every word. Can I not have an opinion. There have been many points here that I could have launched a personal attack on, but in my experience this does no good to either end of a debate. Don't get me wrong, I'm plenty happy to discuss opinions. The difference is I will try not purposely insult you, but if you take my views as an insult that on you.
You are entitled to your opinion as everybody else is. Personal attacks have no value in a debate.
I cannot disagree with that logic

Second, if you are going to have a debate you will need facts or examples to prove your point or your point is useless and only an opinion. That's a fact.
This is where you fail to understand. He was asking for an opinion he wasn't asking for legalities and
regulations. He was simply asking for an opinion. There is no reason to back up an opinion with fact.
You can have an opinion for any reason you choose

A poll can not be a totally objective poll when an owner puts it out there and then campaigns (not just vote) for one side or the other. Being an owner does carry weight with some people. That's why I've stated that Steve has done a "pretty good" job over all. This is not an attack and never has been on Steve and should not be taken that way.
Almost all polls are started by someone who already has skin in the game. Their opinion is almost always
biased to one of the poll options. Of course his title carries weight. At the same time your opinions carry
weight. You have to admit that maybe your posts on this issue have swayed others. That is the nature
of a public forum. People will change their minds as they read others posts. You have to consider it both
ways.

I wouldn't think that the users of this site would do anything illegal, but I would plan for it. Not planning for the worst will only leave you exposed. I've learned the hard way that it's never a good idea to leave yourself not covered. My first debate with "others" here over this topic was centered around the "protecting yourself" idea. Well, the protecting yourself, what is considered a firearm, and if a mod should be able to move or delete on his opinion only to be exact. I asked for at that time so I would know how to post.
I cannot disagree with protecting yourself.
To the best of my knowledge, all the mods here move, delete, or edit based on the rules. There are things
I disagree with but I follow the rules that are set. My opinions don't matter. I am sure the other mods are
the same way. If something other than that happens it would need to be brought to Steve's attention

What difference does it make to me? Same as you, none. I simply voted and expressed my opinion and like you, some felt compelled to debate my opinion.

You miss the point about what CCW did. He posted examples of how two major companies do things in support of his opinion. He is using the examples as fact that this is how it should be done and his opinion is correct (or this is how I took it anyway, I might be wrong CCW would have to chime in to tell for sure). My point is, although I do not agree with him, he has a much better chance of convincing me he is correct than someone that just blurts out "thats stupid". It shows a level of intelligence and convection of his views.
This is the point. There is no right or wrong. It is an opinion. As I stated before, just because both companies did
it the way CCW and myself agree with does not make it right or wrong. To my knowledge there
is no law that regulates how a public forum must categorize a particular item. By public forum I
mean internet forums, retail websites, flea markets, gun shows, etc. If a grocery store lists lettuce
under cleaning supplies, that is their business. Just because someone else does it different, doesn't
make it right or wrong. It is up to the buyer and seller to abide by all rules and laws. The vessel in
which both parties arrived does not matter at that point

Last edited:
Ding...Ding round two. I think conversation like this is healthy and beneficial for both the parties involved and the onlookers. If you can't feel free to voice your opinion you might as well not have one. I just hope everyone can keep this as a debate instead of turning it into a bitchfest (no offense ladies ;))

Now for the brown nosing:

Thank you Steve for putting this poll / discussion up in the first place. Thank you Kilo for making this all the more interesting.

ON WITH IT!!! :deadhorse: :fencing: :argue:

I agree fully! I've said before, you're anything but unclear.

Geez... calm down Corky (which ever one of you is offended by this statement gets to be Corky)

My only REAL thought on this is that my particular browsing habits are going to the rifle, then handgun forums, So I may never see a part unless I am looking specifically and do a search, this limits exposure for the occasional browsing user that might impulse buy (i'm guilty of this often)

Just FYI

As far as the special olympics event in this thread... keep up the fine work, its quite humorous. I love when people take a stand just to do it even though it proves they are the kind of person you would never share a beer with for fear of glass becoming embedded in their temple...

Tony,

I sure wish I knew how to reply the way you just did, Now that's cool and its easy to get the point that's being put out there!

1st. We agree on the anger issue and personal attacks. cool

2nd. If you go back and see my first post you'll see that all I did was post an opinion and nothing more. It was because the topic was liked that we got to where we are now.

3rd. Point taken and I can agree with that.

4th. It was and that has a little to do with how this all got started.

I never said there was a right and wrong way to categorize a forum, just a right and wrong way to debate a point.

Now you see, we totally disagree with each other about this original topic, but with a calm discussion between two adults you have changed my mind on one point.

Tony,

I sure wish I knew how to reply the way you just did, Now that's cool and its easy to get the point that's being put out there!
All you have to is add your lines in between the ones you want to discuss and change the font color.

Now you see, we totally disagree with each other about this original topic, but with a calm discussion between two adults you have changed my mind on one point.
Good, I'm glad we got that settled. Now on the the other opinion of yours we need to change.................J/K

I only hope that Steve continues to put these decisions before us so we can debate and hopefully all
have stake in this forum. Just this thread proves that this is the coolest outdoor forum out there.

So am I now making a statement or taking a stand? Hard to debate a moving target.

I couldn't tell ya, maybe your taking a stand on a statement. Who knows, I don't follow your post. As for the moving target, that's what I've been thinking all along. I didn't bring up lunch, you did. My first post wasn't about if it was legal to put a lower in the ammo section, it was about where I thought it should be. I did bring up that a lower is a firearm according to the law. The thread got sideways shortly after that and I only followed the target.

I couldn't tell ya, maybe your taking a stand on a statement. Who knows, I don't follow your post. As for the moving target, that's what I've been thinking all along. I didn't bring up lunch, you did. My first post wasn't about if it was legal to put a lower in the ammo section, it was about where I thought it should be. I did bring up that a lower is a firearm according to the law. The thread got sideways shortly after that and I only followed the target.

You originally said I was taking a stand with my chicken sandwich for lunch. Then you said I was making a statement with it. So which is it?

Good, I'm glad we got that settled. Now on the the other opinion of yours we need to change.................J/K
Good luck with that one and thanks for the tip.

I only hope that Steve continues to put these decisions before us so we can debate and hopefully all
have stake in this forum. Just this thread proves that this is the coolest outdoor forum out there.
This is the most I've posted anywhere, on any forum so I wouldn't disagree to hard with that, I'm having too much fun myself.

You originally said I was taking a stand with my chicken sandwich for lunch. Then you said I was making a statement with it. So which is it?
That statement is just funny taken out of context like that.

If you're not laughing about this by now you got serious issues.
To be more clear, you would be taking a stand on the statement you made by deciding to eat a chicken sandwich. The chic-fil-a cows now feel strongly that you are on their side. The advertising company is now pointing at you and saying see our idea worked.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom